Man hole discovered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a summerhouse from my back garden that has been in place for 25 yrs. Upon removal i have found a manhole cover, 625mm square. I had planned on putting a concrete base in this are in order to move my small shed there. I have a slight slope running across my garden and this is around the lowest point, to keep my bases level i need to put around 7" of concrete in this area. What is the best thing to do here. I have attached a picture but i am sure you guys have seen millions of these.
I am thinking of putting a small wooden frame around it, slightly bigger than the manhole cover, but level with the proposed floor, then put thick piece of marine ply on top of the manhole cover or a concrete slab, then fill this in with sand, followed by some concrete slabs. everywhere else will be concreted in. If ever need to have access then i can move the shed (sounds easy), lift the slabs, dig out the sand, lift the wood and access the manhole ?

Attachments

• 20160504_161746 (1024x576).jpg
    20160504_161746 (1024x576).jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Remove the frame, build a couple of courses of brickwork and either re-use the frame and lid or scrap the old one and set a new frame & lid to finish level with your new concrete.

Please don't put in 7" of concrete on an existing base for a shed, its totally OTT. Just put in rows of blocks laying on their side under the shed joists. If you want it to be neater, put a full row on the ends you can see. As said bring the manhole cover up to a suitable level, so covering it with a bit of OSB or ply will bring the top of the wood level with your shed floor. Just cut the joists to allow the manhole all to be extended upwards.
Frank

Sponsored Links
There is no concrete base in this area where the shed is going, thats what i need to put in place. I have thought about bricking up the manhole cover, but as i can't lay a brick and i need this down ASAP, hence i thought about a frame. As i said, i would extend up from the frame with marine ply, do all the cementing and once is dry, cut the marine ply level with the floor, then fill it in with soil/gravel/sand etc. Plan once the shed is in place is to cut out the floor and fit a trap door in the shed floor to allow access to the manhole. If it was a patio then i would brick it up etc etc but as it is under the shed and load is spread across the bearers, i thought this option would be ok ?

Hehe found a man hole.
I do not frequent those places often.

Probably best to open the manhole and see what's in there .It might be a rainwater one then you won't need to worry about access.

As sheds aren't that heavy, for a 6x8 shed, you can get away with 6 or 9 concrete blocks laid on their sides, and then build a decking style frame of tanalised 4x2 (but I got away with 3x2s when I did it) joists on to the blocks, then build the shed on the frame. If you were to put a concrete base down, and I'd replace the manhole cover with an internal one that has a seal, and will stop odours coming up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back