MANAGER OF THE YEAR

John W Henry has explained Liverpool's decision to spend a British record transfer fee on Andy Carroll, revealing he strictly stipulated that the Reds pay £15 million less than they received for Fernando Torres

ie, we get 40 mill for Torres, we offer 25 for Carroll....pretty simple.

How can Dalglish be a cheque book manager when he replaced TWO strikers with another TWO strikers for the sale price of his previous TWO strikers?

Now if he asked for money to spend outright then yes you could label him a cheque book manager!

Mourinho is an example of a cheque book manager....he has only ever managed clubs that have given him pretty much unlimited amounts of money. Thats why you wont see him in the prem again unles he goes to Chelsea or City....he goes where the money is.

Wrong. That's a statement from the author of the article. To paraphrase what J Henry said, 'we want £15m more for Torres than Newcastle will let us have Carroll for'. It's fairly simple; read the article.

Reports say he'll be given £100m to spend in the summer. With his £56m from Babel & Torres he could have strengthened in 3 or 4 positions; instead he spent it on two players. You're telling me that a manager spending £35m on one player is NOT a chequebook manager?

Take off your red-tinted glasses for a moment and you'll see what everyone else sees.

Sponsored Links
John W Henry has explained Liverpool's decision to spend a British record transfer fee on Andy Carroll, revealing he strictly stipulated that the Reds pay £15 million less than they received for Fernando Torres

ie, we get 40 mill for Torres, we offer 25 for Carroll....pretty simple.

How can Dalglish be a cheque book manager when he replaced TWO strikers with another TWO strikers for the sale price of his previous TWO strikers?

Now if he asked for money to spend outright then yes you could label him a cheque book manager!

Mourinho is an example of a cheque book manager....he has only ever managed clubs that have given him pretty much unlimited amounts of money. Thats why you wont see him in the prem again unles he goes to Chelsea or City....he goes where the money is.

Wrong. That's a statement from the author of the article. To paraphrase what J Henry said, 'we want £15m more for Torres than Newcastle will let us have Carroll for'. It's fairly simple; read the article.

Reports say he'll be given £100m to spend in the summer. With his £56m from Babel & Torres he could have strengthened in 3 or 4 positions; instead he spent it on two players. You're telling me that a manager spending £35m on one player is NOT a chequebook manager?

Take off your red-tinted glasses for a moment and you'll see what everyone else sees.

"The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle. Those prices could have been £35million [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20million [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35"Think I have said this a few times now.....I'll repeat it again for you, If Chelsea offered 20 mill, we would have offered 5 mill for Carroll....you are quoting the Guardian!

They never asked for 15 mill more from Chelsea....The Chelsea bid came in before they bid for Carroll!

"I was surprised Monday morning to receive an offer [from Chelsea for Fernando Torres] in that amount [£50million] at the same time they were announcing such large losses [£71million for 2009-10]," Henry said.

Then we made the offer to Newcastle

The reports are that he will be given £50 mill in the summer, and Dalglish has stated that he will not spend it all if he dont need to. Not sure where you get 100 mill from?

We lost our 2 strikers mid season, priority was to replace them 2 strikers. Other positions can be dealt with in the summer

I do happen to know a fair bit about the club I support, and I can assure you Dalglish is NOT a cheque book manager....i'll put my red-tinted glasses back on now!

Sponsored Links
I'll keep this short because my internet keeps dropping out.

John Henry said:
The fee for Torres was dependent on what Newcastle asked for Carroll

Dependent on what Newcastle asked for Carroll, not 'The fee for Carroll was dependent on what Chelsea offered for Torres'.

Name your price, Newcastle, and we'll let you have Fernando for £15m more, Chelsea.

John Henry said:
It was ultimately up to Newcastle how much this was all going to cost.

Do you see it yet? How much they let Torres go for was dependent on how much Newcastle wanted for Carroll. Simple as that.

Do you see it yet? How much they let Torres go for was dependent on how much Newcastle wanted for Carroll. Simple as that.

Have I missed a page here or something...

Torres was going regardless. I'm trying to make this simple for you but you cant grasp it!

Scenario, Chelsea offer us £40 mill for Torres?

What happens then? Do we sign Carroll for £35 million?

John Henry always said we wanted a difference of £15 mill....tha ball was in Chelsea's court....not Newcastle's

You're giving me a head ache now!

Have I missed a page here or something...

Torres was going regardless. I'm trying to make this simple for you but you cant grasp it!

Scenario, Chelsea offer us £40 mill for Torres?

What happens then? Do we sign Carroll for £35 million?

John Henry always said we wanted a difference of £15 mill....tha ball was in Chelsea's court....not Newcastle's

You're giving me a head ache now!

What?

For crying out loud read the quotes properly. If Newcastle wanted £20m for Carroll, Liverpool wanted £35m for Torres, NOT the other way around!

Seriously, please read everything that John Henry actually said! What Liverpool wanted for Torres depended on what Newcastle wanted for Carroll. End of - read John Henry's quotes!

Sick of repeating myself now!

John Henry said we wanted a difference of 15 million.....which is exactly what I have been saying for this entire thread!

Newcastle DID NOT ask for £35 million....they where offered it because Chelsea offered us £50 Million....hence the £15 million difference!

Thats why Henry stated that Newcastle got a hell of a deal, Liverpool where prepared to pay anything for Carroll!

Liverpool owner John W Henry has claimed the club did not care what they had to pay for striker Andy Carroll, as long as they emerged with £15million in cash left over after the sale of Fernando Torres to Chelsea

Liverpool were selling.....then buying.

If Chelsea offered us £40m, we would have only offered £25m for Carroll!

Newcastle where not in the driving seat,

Can someone else please come and explain this for me ![/quote]

Your bit in bold is NOT a quote, it's a statement by the author of the article. The quotes from J Henry are what you need to be reading. If you bothered reading them PROPERLY!!!, you'd see that what Liverpool were asking for Torres depended on what Newcastle would accept for Carroll.

Your bit in bold is NOT a quote, it's a statement by the author of the article. The quotes from J Henry are what you need to be reading.

I have given you quote after quote

I cant explain it any more to you, lets hope this quote wraps this up now

"The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle. Those prices could have been £35million [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20million [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35"

Your bit in bold is NOT a quote, it's a statement by the author of the article. The quotes from J Henry are what you need to be reading. If you bothered reading them PROPERLY!!!, you'd see that what Liverpool were asking for Torres depended on what Newcastle would accept for Carroll.

and what point are you trying to make?

and what point are you trying to make?

Snico is claiming what Liverpool offered for Carroll depended on what Chelsea offered for Torres, whereas the quotes from J Henry say that whatever Newcastle were willing to accept for Carroll, they wanted £15m more from Chelsea for Torres.

I'll wrap it up wit this quote.

The fee for Torres was dependent on what Newcastle asked for Carroll

Seriously, read it.

I have read that quote, from the Guardian....

Sooey, can you explain this any better because i'm struggling now!

Explain to EngStudent how Henry and Werner wantde a difference of £15m and where not bothered about any fee that Newcastle wanted

I have tried to explain how we where selling Torres first before we made any offer to Newcastle etc etc

Does it matter either way? For what it's worth I believe the offer from Chelsea came first, followed by Liverpools offer for Carol that Newcastle couldn't refuse. If you don't think he was worth it, fair enough. But when you think the alternative was having eggnog up front for the rest of the season the fee seems a lot more reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Back