Manhole cover lubrication in pool/damp environments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two reasonably large and heavy double seal manhole covers over the balance tank in our pool area and I'm trying to find some kind of lubricant that could be used to make sure they're always easy to lift.

One of the manhole covers was lifted no more than two months ago, and I've nearly snapped the "J" keys trying to lift it again and this is normally the case. It's a complete pain in the arse.

What I'm looking for is some kind of lubricant that I can put around the manhole cover that won't cause any problems on the tiled flooring around it when it's lifted.

When working in drainage, we just used to use normal lithium grease, which is fine provided you don't use too much and once you've put the lid down, but once it needs to come up again, it gets everywhere.

I know this is hard to avoid, but even if it was some kind of clear lubricant or just something to stop it sticking. Bearing in mind, the balance tank is below so it can't be something that could drip down and contaminate the pool water..

Anyone? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thin polythene sheet over the hole before fitting cover [with a little grease] should help removal and keep the grease from contaminating things.Also keys should be used with leverage to lift straight up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back