Manky inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I installed new drainage as part of an extension earlier this year. The fall on the chamber is a little bit steep, as we had to go inline to an existing drain run (Now removed).

Currently, only the top right inlet is in use for bathroom and kitchen, the straight inlet isn't connected to anything yet.

A week ago I cleaned the chamber, but after a week it looks like this again (Sorry, it's horrible, click the thumbnail if you're not eating!)

IMG-0613.jpg

It stays about this bad. I'm wondering if the connections being back-dropped by about 60cm, is, 'accelerating' the waste, and throwing it across the chamber?

Is this normal? Or do I need some sort of covers inside for the unused inlets?

Thanks, and sorry for any wasted lunches.
Tim

Sponsored Links
Common issue with these chambers, waste coming in too fast, splashes across and fouls the opposing benching. Didn't used to happen so much with hand built chambers as the pipework, channels and benching could be built to suit the incoming pipework.

You can get channel covers for the Osma chambers, part numbers 4D948 LH /4D949 RH (which I'd assume fit their competitors chambers as they are all of a pretty standard design), but they arent cheap. You may be better off with getting a piece of aluminum or suchlike, cutting it to suit and bending it down to make your own channel cover. I'd avoid using steel, harder to cut and bend, and will possibly corrode faster if Hydrogen Sulfide is present in the drain.

I would also remove those Plugs and fit screwed access caps to the 2 rodding points. There is always a risk the plugs will work loose and fall into the main run. You won't know until it's too late and fishing them out will be an interesting task....

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks @Hugh Jaleak , glad it's not a 'fault. I'll see if I can get a bit on aluminium and make something... could be awkward as the base is nearly 1m down... could do with one on a bench to much about with.

I had to go with plugs as I cut the pipe too short for screwed access caps. I am eventually going to connect chains from the plugs to the chamber wall, just in case. I did do them bloody tight though!

Could you buy a chamber, use it to make your blanks, then return it? Naughty but as long as you don't damage it, no harm done.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack your thread.... but you did make me open the pic just after having my tea :) but is it normal to bore out the walls for incoming pipes like that? I'm needing something similar but couldn't find anything readily available, but was also concerned doing cutouts might not be reliable or might be frowned upon by BC.

Sorry to hijack your thread.... but you did make me open the pic just after having my tea :) but is it normal to bore out the walls for incoming pipes like that? I'm needing something similar but couldn't find anything readily available, but was also concerned doing cutouts might not be reliable or might be frowned upon by BC.

The top pipes are purely for rodding access, not for waste to pass. They are drop-shaft inlets, to avoid having to dig all the sewers so deep, as on my site it's not necessary after the connection from the road.

This was it during construction
unnamed 9.jpg

The top pipes are purely for rodding access, not for waste to pass. They are drop-shaft inlets, to avoid having to dig all the sewers so deep, as on my site it's not necessary after the connection from the road.

This was it during construction
View attachment 281098
Ah makes sense. Looks good.
I’ve a combined system and need to run in to an inspection chamber but not keen on putting a complete new chamber in just to include a feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back