Manufacturing IP rated products

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of designing my own lighting products for manufacture by myself. I am going to be CE marking and testing myself, but wondered if anyone has any knowledge or done something similar about IP ratings? For example a light fitting to be used outside needs say IPX4, can the manufacturer carry out these tests themselves and document evidence, or does it need to be sent off to a lab and have another company do the testing? I have found details on the sequence and requirements of the tests but need more information but cant find it!
Any help appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do the test yourself, provided you record the test details and results in your technical file. I'm not sure why you'd want to though, since the test apparatus specified in BS EN60529 is fairly complex, and you won't be using it enough to justify the cost.
Remember that each IP rating implies that the tests have been performed for the lower ratings, i.e. before claiming IPX4 you will test for X3, X2.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back