Marine ply too thin for floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been quoted a price for a bathroom installation which seems to be a reasonable price but the quote states that 3.5mm marine ply will be used on the floor to prepare for tiling, is this thick enough?

The floorboards are in a fair state but I would have still thought 3.5mm is quite thin.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
3.5mm ply overboard is just a joke, it will achieve absolutely nothing. The BS, Tile Association & tile adhesive manufacturers spec is 15mm for overboard (timber only not crappy chipboard) but 12mm is generally recognised as the minimum, depending on your floor joist size/pitch/span. It doesn’t’ need to be Marine ply either; WBP uses the same waterproof adhesive in construction but doesn’t have the decorative veneers. Another alternative would be to overboard with a decent tile backer board.

When tiling or re-tiling, there are many things that can catch you out; with walls you need to consider tile weights, prep & materials & suspended timber floors need special consideration. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before going any further or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Whoever quoted you is not a pro tiler but a cheapskate cowboy chancer, I would definitely not advise you use them or the tiling will almost certainly be doomed to early failure. If you care to provide more info & detail on what you’re proposing, floor construction, tiles etc. I could give you a spec to get quotes to.

Thanks for the responses.

Richard, your response was a of an eye opener and I was about to hire the guy who has quoted stating he would use 3.5mm marine ply. I am really at a loss now about what to look out for when hiring a bathroom fitter, if 12mm is considered the minimum then I think none of my quotes have stated this thickness.

Just to get things right, when I think of overboarding I assume it means securing ply to the already in situ floorboards?

I had a quote from a guy who said I would get away with 9mm as the floorboards are in a good state and have little play in them, is this feasible?

I am not asking for things to be done on the cheap I just want a bathroom refit with a showerbath and tiled throughout, what should I be looking for in a quote?

Thanks

:confused:

Sponsored Links
I was about to hire the guy who has quoted stating he would use 3.5mm marine ply.
I think you had a lucky escape there. ;)

I am really at a loss now about what to look out for when hiring a bathroom fitter, if 12mm is considered the minimum then I think none of my quotes have stated this thickness.
That’s bathroom fitters for you. There are good ones around who will make a brilliant job of the sanitary ware & plumbing but then make a totals balls of the tiling. Some can tile but not many are actually experienced tilers & this is usually where things start to go wrong, it usually shows in the quality of the job & how long it lasts as well; similar thing with builders. I do a lot of property refurbishment which includes bath/shower rooms & can tackle all associated work; electrics I can do but I’m not registered for so that I sub out. I also do the tiling & can plaster (properly) as well but this isn’t usually a good idea if tiling as it restricts maximum tile weight which can be a problem if you want large format tiles which can be very heavy.

Having a rigid floor by replacing, using 12mm over board ply or a decent tile backer board properly secured can mean the difference between a job that might last a couple of years or so (but sometimes only 6 months) & one that will last you a minimum of 10 years & up to 20 years. I’ve had to rip some apart after just 6 months because the tiles have cracked or are falling off & the walls inside showers cubicles/over baths are totally shot.

Just to get things right, when I think of overboarding I assume it means securing ply to the already in situ floorboards?
That’s correct; but the floorboards must be in good condition & I won’t overboard chipboard, its crap. Over board should be screw fixed every 150-200mm max through into the joists (check for pipes & cables) not just into the top of the original floor boards. The underside (non tile) & edges of the ply must be sealed with acrylic primer before it’s put down; do not prime the tile surface. Alternatively, you could use a decent tile backer board, 6-12mm, again depending on the floor construction.

One problem with over boarding is it adversely affects the threshold height & I usually prefer to replace the floor using 18-25mm WBP ply depending on the floor joist size/pitch/span.

I had a quote from a guy who said I would get away with 9mm as the floorboards are in a good state and have little play in them, is this feasible?
Again, that’s not thick enough & the floorboards must have NO play in them before over boarding & the floor must have no discernable movement or flex once prepped for tiling.

I am not asking for things to be done on the cheap I just want a bathroom refit with a shower bath and tiled throughout, what should I be looking for in a quote?
Plasterboard in wet areas must be tanked (around bath & in shower) or it may not last. Only quality trade materials not cheap own brand or DIY shed stuff & it must be of the correct type for your tiles & tile base. Flexible powder cement adhesive only on suspended timber floors, never tub mix & use powder adhesive on wall tiles larger than around 250mm.

As I said previously, give more details about the room size/layout, your floor type/construction, joist size/pitch/span/direction, wall construction (blocks, plaster/plasterboard etc), what size/type/weight tiles you want for both floors & walls & I can help you work out a spec so it will last more than six months. The cost of decent prep & materials makes comparatively little difference to the overall cost of the refit & is certainly a lot cheaper than early failure.

Hi Richard,

thanks for your response, you really are a fountain of knowledge :D

I have decided to use the fitter who did my last bathroom as he, as far as I could see, did a good job. He has suggested 9 to 12mm ply but if the threshold height would be too great he would remove the floorboards and install 18 to 25mm ply onto the joists, what is WBP?

The current floorboards have no play in them so overboard may still be an option, depends on the threshold height change.

The bathroom is square 2.5m x 2.5m approx square, far and left wall are external walls and others are single course brick internal - the door is lower right on the lower internal wall. The floor is covered with lino so I cannot comment on the floorboards and joists yet, it is pretty smooth so seems a reasonable surface.

A showerbath is to be installed on the far wall, an external wall, and the shower will be installed on the right hand internal wall. As the internal walls are only 1 brick I think a false wall frame will have to be made to house the piping for the shower, this was done at my last house. It was a basic wooden frame, plasterboarded and then tiled - is this good enough and what do you mean by the term 'tanked'?

A sink and toilet will be installed on the left hand external wall, so the left hand external wall will be from top left - end of bath boxed in and tiled, then sink and finally toilet in the lower left of the room. All pipework will be plastic speedfit, exposed pipework will be copper.

I have not picked tiles yet but they will be typical sizes, 60x30 for wall and 30x30 for floor.

I have decided to use the fitter ---he has suggested 9 to 12mm ply but if the threshold height would be too great he would remove the floorboards and install 18 to 25mm ply onto the joists, what is WBP?
Again I would not advise using less than 12.5mm WPB for overboard; you could use a decent tile backer board which would be thinner - 10mm & in some cases 6mm will be sufficient but it depends on the floor. Replacing the floor is always my preferred option as you know where you’re starting from; 18-25mm WBP ply. WBP = Water (Weather) & Boil Proof & is an exterior grade ply that uses waterproof adhesive to bond the ply veneers together, standard ply could de-laminate. 18mm is sufficient in many cases for a light load/use area such as bath/shower rooms; sometimes 22mm, rarely 25mm but actual thickness you need depends on floor construction. You don't need to use expensive marine ply, WBP uses the same waterproof adhesive in construction but doesn't have expensive face veneers which you don't need anyway.

The bathroom is square 2.5m x 2.5m approx square, far and left wall are external walls and others are single course brick internal - the door is lower right on the lower internal wall. The floor is covered with lino so I cannot comment on the floorboards and joists yet, it is pretty smooth so seems a reasonable surface.
Small room so over boarding or replacement shouldn’t be an issue but check out the joist size/pitch/span.

A showerbath is to be installed on the far wall, an external wall, and the shower will be installed on the right hand internal wall. As the internal walls are only 1 brick I think a false wall frame will have to be made to house the piping for the shower, this was done at my last house. It was a basic wooden frame, plasterboarded and then tiled - is this good enough and what do you mean by the term 'tanked'?
Is the external wall cavity or solid brick?

Constructing a false wall is not unusual to hide recessed pipes & mixer valves. This can be made from studding but don’t use plaster board in wet areas unless you tank it; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/wp1-coating but check the weight limits below. Even then, tanking won’t protect the back side of PB from possible leaks with concealed pipes & recessed valves. Far better to use a waterproof 12.5mm tile (cement) backer board in shower enclosures & around baths. No need to tank in most domestic installations, just tile straight over; tape all joints & avoid board joints coinciding with tile grout lines. Mechanically fix any boards that are being tiled, don’t just rely on dot & dab adhesive. Plasterboard in dry areas should be Moisture Resistant, not standard wall board; 12.5mm only. If you’ve any ½ tiled areas, MR PB needs priming before it can be plastered.

A sink and toilet will be installed on the left hand external wall, so the left hand external wall will be from top left - end of bath boxed in and tiled, then sink and finally toilet in the lower left of the room. All pipework will be plastic speedfit, exposed pipework will be copper.
I’m a bit of a luddite when it comes to plumbing; I won’t use plastic & never Speedfit but your choice of course.

I have not picked tiles yet but they will be typical sizes, 60x30 for wall and 30x30 for floor.
Large tiles on the wall; the bigger the tiles the flatter the tile base needs to be. It’s important to know the tile weight BEFORE you proceed due to weight limits so check it out. Plaster will only take 20 kg/sqm including > 4kg/sqm for the adhesive & grout; unplastered plaster board will take 32 kg/sqm; render & tile backer boards up to 40 kg/sqm but some boards go up to 50+ kg/sqm. If you don’t know the weight sq/m, an approximation can be given from tile type (ceramic/porcelain/stone) & tile thickness. Cement powder (flexible) adhesive only for the floor & with those size tiles, the walls as well; flexible addy & grout only over boards. Cement boards can be tiled directly over but gypsum plaster & plasterboard must be acrylic primed to avoid reaction between the gypsum & cement in the tile adhesive.

Floor tiles should be OK but check for any bowing in the floor, excessive bowing will need to be rectified before you lay or you will have problems & it can notice. Rectification usually involves either packing or “sistering” the floor joists.

'Never speedfit' why? I am getting slightly concerned about the whole plastic vs copper debate.

So I need to verify that WBP board is being used for the floor no matter what option is decided on.

External wall is a cavity wall, shower will be on an internal wall.

Need to verify how shower is to be installed but if false wall is only option (which looks likely) then 12.5mm (cement) backer board should be used and no need to tank, if plasterboard then need to tank. (shower used daily by 2 adults) Also need to verify flexible cement powder is being used for tiling.

This fitter is going to wonder who I have been talking to when I fire all these questions at him :D

The weight limits you mention are all very interesting and worrying at the same time, I cannot imagine this guy sitting down and working this all out - if experienced will his knowledge be good enough to gauge this on the job?

I am not going to even ask what 'sistering' the joists means? :D

'Never speedfit' why? I am getting slightly concerned about the whole plastic vs copper debate.
Despite what the manufacturer’s say in their technical blurb & that most modern plumbers are sold on them, I’m just not convinced of the longevity of friction & “O” rings to maintain a high pressure water seal. Plastic pipe does have its uses I suppose but, again, the weak point is always going to be the fittings. As I said, I’m a bit of a plumbing Luddite; Copper & solder fittings only for me & with as few of them as possible; I bend wherever I can & only use compression fitting where there is no option. I certainly wouldn't use anynothing else in my own property!

So I need to verify that WBP board is being used for the floor no matter what option is decided on.
Yes & the underside & edges must be sealed with acrylic primer before laying to avoid the possibility of moisture ingress which could cause bowing & tile failure. Fix every 150 -200mm max & into the joists in both casses. If backer boards are used, follow the manufacturers instructions for securing.

External wall is a cavity wall.
That’s fine, just checking; solid brick walls are prone to damp & not ideal for tiling without additional prep.

Need to verify how shower is to be installed but if false wall is only option (which looks likely) then 12.5mm (cement) backer board should be used and no need to tank, if plasterboard then need to tank. (shower used daily by 2 adults)
Yes that’s OK, make sure the timber studs are a decent size, flimsy small section timber won’t be robust enough; the mixer valve should be well supported by it’s own framework. I assume the “two adults” won’t be using the shower at the same time! :LOL:

Also need to verify flexible cement powder is being used for tiling.
Flexy cement powder must be used on any suspended floor. Flexy addy on any type of wall board & cement powder (not tub ready mix) for any tiles much over around 250 x 250mm or more than 8mm thick. Flexy is not really necessary for solid floors & brick/plaster walls but, depending on how much you need in each case, it’s often cheaper to use flexy for both if your going to have half a bag left over.

This fitter is going to wonder who I have been talking to when I fire all these questions at him :D
Probably but don’t let him fob you off with “that’s OTT & not necessary”. I do spec. high but I work at the quality end of the market, I’ve never had a failure & my work will last.

The weight limits you mention are all very interesting and worrying at the same time, I cannot imagine this guy sitting down and working this all out - if experienced will his knowledge be good enough to gauge this on the job?
Impossible to answer; weight limits only really became a problem with the modern trend for large format tiles & the desire to fix paving slabs to walls; it wasn’t a problem in the days when 6” x 6” tiles were considered large! Unfortunately many plasterers aren’t aware of the weight limits or the unsuitability of base plaster as a tile base so they will merrily plaster your bathroom tile base if you let them when it’s simply not necessary & may well be creating a problem for tiling. Any half decent tiler should be aware of tile weight limits for various walls but, again, many who call themselves tilers are not! It’s really not difficult to work out & in many cases the weight/sqm is on the side of the tile box! If not just weigh a tile & do the math; there are also approximate weight guides for various tiles & tile thickness, just add 4kg/sqm for the addy/grout. Do check but the weight is not usually an issue unless the tiles are over 8mm thick.

I am not going to even ask what 'sistering' the joists means? :D
It just involves bolting a new joist to the one already there; it’s used to stiffen up the floor &/or leveling bowed joists. ;)

Right,

I have spoke to a fitter who was in the frame for the job and he told be taking the floorboards up and boarding with WBP is overkill and as my floorboards have no play in them then overboard with ply is fine. I asked if the ply is going to be treated in any way and he said no, 6mm ply is fine for my bathroom and as the floor never really gets wet then this would be fine.

He argued that 25mm WBP is only really required for a wet room or a floor that gets wet, a lot.

I asked him about the stud wall and he said they would be using plasterboard with no tanking, I voiced my concern and I suggested cement backer board. He said no problem but it would increase the price a little.

Sadly the 2 adults in the shower are a distant memory but a fond one nevertheless. :D

I did get a lot of OTT comments during the conversation, the only plus point with this fitter is he is a copper only man.

So, I have an installer who I am not sure I could trust and another installer who I do trust but he is a 'speedfit' plastic only man.

I feel like I have hit a brickwall and feel like renewing my search for a fitter :confused:

Out of interest what kind of price do you think I should be paying for a job like this? I have set no limit and give any indication that I want the job on the cheap so I don't understand the corner cutting?

I have spoke to a fitter who was in the frame for the job and he told be taking the floorboards up and boarding with WBP is overkill and as my floorboards have no play in them then overboard with ply is fine.
As I said in a previous post, over boarding shouldn’t be an issue if it’s only a small room, everything is in good condition & the original floor is well fixed down with additional fixings if necessary. I don’t really disagree with him but difficult for me to say for certain without seeing it.

I asked if the ply is going to be treated in any way and he said no, 6mm ply is fine for my bathroom and as the floor never really gets wet then this would be fine.
I really do disagree with 6mm being “fine”; 12mm is the minimum you should consider using or a decent tile backer board. It’s not about water getting into the top, it’s about possible damp ingress to the board underside & edges when a suspended floor is involved. It may be minimal risk but is entirely possible in some situations; you will always get seasonal moisture fluctuations & an under floor burst pipe would certainly do it. For the minimal cost & time it takes to apply a couple of coats of acrylic primer to the back side & edges, I don’t see the point of not doing it. It’s recommended proceedure for BS, the Tile Association & the quality adhesive manufacturers; it’s about attention to detail & minimising risks.

He argued that 25mm WBP is only really required for a wet room or a floor that gets wet, a lot.
The thickness of the ply you need is about floor construction, loading & the type of use the room gets. Kitchen/hall = heavy use & 25mm; bath/shower room = light use & 18 -22mm but sometimes 25mm is necessary. Ply thickness has nothing to do with it being a wet room but in wet room’s ply floors must be tanked anyway or it won’t that long. It’s worth noting that apart from epoxy products, waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof” in the sense it won’t (shouldn’t) disintegrate when wet, it’s not impervious to water & it’s why it’s important the tile base is truly waterproof in wet areas or if regular wetting of the tiles is going to occur.

I asked him about the stud wall and he said they would be using plasterboard with no tanking, I voiced my concern and I suggested cement backer board. He said no problem but it would increase the price a little.
Many will just use PB (not even moisture resistant) & tile straight on to it but invariable it won’t last long in a shower area once you understand what I’ve said above about the true meaning of “waterproof” with all but expensive epoxy tile products; I suspect he has no idea!

I did get a lot of OTT comments during the conversation, the only plus point with this fitter is he is a copper only man.
As I said, all very predictable & I do get a lot of it but for me it’s all about quality & how long it’s going to last; not important if you like refurbishing your bathroom every 3-5 years. Still at least he likes copper!

So, I have an installer who I am not sure I could trust
You should never use anyone you don’t feel you could trust or who makes condescending comments; the customer is always king & generally right or at least I make them feel they are.

and another installer who I do trust but he is a 'speedfit' plastic only man.
Have you asked him if he will use copper (assuming he actually can) if your prepared to pay for it?

I feel like I have hit a brickwall and feel like renewing my search for a fitter :confused:
There are good ones out there including several who post this forum, just keep looking you will eventually find one. Just make it clear that quality is important to you & you don’t mind paying for it but obviously get detailed & specified quotes & don’t lay yourself wide open to getting ripped off.

Out of interest what kind of price do you think I should be paying for a job like this? I have set no limit and give any indication that I want the job on the cheap so I don't understand the corner cutting?
That’s a difficult one without seeing the room, knowing the quality of fittings & tiles you want & assessing the job requirements specifically like any difficult bits or additional building works (plastering, electrics etc.) & it’s important any quote you get list exactly what’s to be done & the materials that are being used. For a shower bath, realistically, the overall cost could be anything from, say, £4k for a simple job using budget fittings up to £10k if there are complications or you want posh fittings & pick very expensive tiles.

You could add up the cost off all the materials you need & add on £1.8 - £2K for labour costs but that would only be a rough guide. May be slightly cheaper where you are but be wary if it’s too cheap; if you pay peanuts you generally get monkeys!

i agree with everything Richard says i would proberly use tile backerboard you are the customer demand what he has told you as not overkill it will insure it lasts :)

The labour costs for quotes are 2.1k and 2.5k, so about right? Both include costs for materials - grout, adhesives etc. I was going to spend 2k to 3k on the bathroom.

It is difficult to go back and insist that certain things are done and certain materials are used as I feel like I have been quoted for a bodge/cheap job in the first place so how can I trust them? They may nod and say it will be done but how do I confirm this without watching the job from start to finish.

I will keep looking and hopefully find somebody who will do the job properly, I just want a fitter to say all the right things from the off but I am guessing most are more keen to get the job than do it right.

The labour costs for quotes are 2.1k and 2.5k, so about right? Both include costs for materials - grout, adhesives etc. I was going to spend 2k to 3k on the bathroom.

It is difficult to go back and insist that certain things are done and certain materials are used as I feel like I have been quoted for a bodge/cheap job in the first place so how can I trust them? They may nod and say it will be done but how do I confirm this without watching the job from start to finish.

I will keep looking and hopefully find somebody who will do the job properly, I just want a fitter to say all the right things from the off but I am guessing most are more keen to get the job than do it right.

with the Knowledge you have obtained from here you will be able to demand from the start and get a quote to suit all the best to you :)

The labour costs for quotes are 2.1k and 2.5k, so about right? Both include costs for materials - grout, adhesives etc.
A bit of difference between the two if both have seen the job not sure why & it could be due to any number of reasons. The more quotes you get the easier it is to see who’s the clown, who wants the job & who doesn’t. I once got 11 subby quotes for a bigish project & the difference can be an eye opener as far as quoting mentality goes. Just to clarify, I didn’t included ANY materials in the labour costs so I was pretty much on the mark seeing as I haven’t seen it.

You can’t & from what you’ve said, I would forget those you have already approached. By now, you’re probably already streets ahead of them on the knowledge front but obviously won’t be in their opinion!

Write yourself down a spec from what I’ve said & get them to quote to it; if they are condescending, aren’t interested in what you have to say or slag you off then wave them goodbye. If they come up with alternatives & say why or explain why some of it isn’t necessary listen & consider. Remember they will have seen the job, I haven’t; not even photos! You can always post back here for further advice if you require.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back