Mason mitreing (??) worktops

Q1 fitter you say that you mitre £70/ join does that include cut -outs for hob and sink?
Q2 what do you charge for cutting out and fitting a sink including plumbing -in?
Q3 does a 30mm collet mean 30mm length?
Q4 could you or anyone walk me through making a jig out of MDF?
Q5 would you be prepared to walk us through a detailed kit. fit from installing the first corner cabinet? for instance i'm not too certain about what is meant by the corner post - i've seen anumber of corner cab's and "posts" in the sheds>
thanks for your knowledge

Sponsored Links
Tom
You sure seem to have a lot going on.

Q1 No £70 is the cost of the first mitre, I charge £50 to cut the hole out fit taps etc to sink seal & fit, same for hob.

Q2 Plumbing varies to what's required & supplied, about £35- £50. For the gas hobs I have a CORGI bloke to do it all for me, he charges a min. of £50 and that includes leaving a certificate.

Q3 30mm is nothing to do with the collet, it's the guide bush size.

Q4 I've never thought about making a jig, I suppose it is possible but not something I would attempt, getting the location holes 100% accurate would have to be done on a CNC.

Q5 A corner post is the L shaped piece, that's fitted at the center of the unit to change direction of the next unit.

Try and get hold of a booklet that MFI give when they are NOT fitting a purchased kitchen. It tells you more or less everything you need to know.
Try your local shop, they just might have one laying about.

Fitting a kitchen is not rocket science, so do not worry, you just need to give it a go and ask questions on here if you get stuck.

I hired a jig & using my £30 router did a perfectly acceptable joint (I've seen worse in kitchen showrooms) in about 1.5 hours. Only problem was that with a 1/4" shank the longest 12.7mm router bit available wouldn't go all the way through the 40mm worktop, so i had to cut off the rest with a handsaw & then trim from the underside using a flush trim bit. The bull nose took the longest time to get right.
I'd hire a 1/2" router next time with the full length bit. You can hire a router, bit & jig for under £30 a day. Not too difficult a job for an average diyer with a bit of patience.

P_D_G You must of been pretty lucky with your first effort & the price you have been given for rental.

I purchased 3 lengths of worktop (Bush Board), it says on the enclosed instructions that it is better to have the joints cut by a professional but as I have a router thought I'd give it a go. First problem was I could not get a bush to fit my router ( like yours a cheapie), so decided to hire one, second problem not many people hire them out, managed to locate a complete set up, router, jig & cutter for £47-00 per day.
I set about cutting the first of 3 joints, which wasn't to bad as it was dead square, the next 2 were much more difficult as the walls were quite a bit out of 90deg. and they were VERY hard work mentally as well as pysically.
Would I do it again?, no I was given a price of £125 to have someone in to do them. By the time I had bought bolts & sealant it cost me about half the price but it wasn't worth the saving.
As for it being a diy job I don't know, I'm a time served precision engineer
with over 40 years experience of using tools, I certainly never found it that easy. Maybe that's just me.

Sponsored Links
thanks lads for mentioning my previous input
after doing my own kitchen i too am now a proffesional
kitchen fitter
i only charge 30 pounds for 1 joint
50 for 2 all depending on what colour silicone is required
if there is anyone wanting my proffesional services please email me
as i am willing to travel anywhere in the uk
as long as you come and pick me up coz i havent got a car
and am too young for a bus pass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back