masonry drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to drill some 6mm holes in a masonry wall and I have hit an extremely hard concrete lintel which my standard masonry drills won't touch. Is there an upgraded drill bit I can use or is there another solution.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
hmmm, i did that once, thought it was just a bit of metal, so out came the hss bit then BANG! the metal was the protective covering of a cable.

Sponsored Links
Dewalt extreme 2 claim they'll go through rebars (ha ha!) but yes firstly determine what you've hit, you don't want to be drilling into a piece of capping, if it is a steel lintel / rebar some cobalt HSS bits will get through it... slowly.

Bosch make special bits for going through rebar.

screenshot_170.jpg

I wouldn't recomend drilling through a rebar in the centre of a lintel. Just a thought...
▶ Only cut through rebar if approval has been issued by a structural engineer

thanks for the information guys. I will investigate further and let you know what happens. thanks again.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, if it's "just" hard concrete, try with a smaller drill first. 4mm will go in much more easily than 6mm then your 6mm hole will be fast and accurate.
That is especially true if you're using a non-SDS drill.

IF your drill isn`t SDS - don`t waste your time - invest in an SDS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back