Matching the right varnish after damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Took on a DIY project and while it was going on decided to protect the wood flooring with this self adhesive film:
PXL_20230319_090252922.jpg

PXL_20230319_093120468.jpg

PXL_20230319_093124559.jpg

It was all going well until the time came to remove the film. Sadly as it was being removed it took some of the varnish with it from the flooring :(
PXL_20230520_163100634.jpg

I bought some clear coat matt varnish and after doing a test realised it was way too glossy, so I replaced it with a satin one which was much better but sadly it's still not matching as you can see below, the varnished boards stand out like sore thumb:
PXL_20230520_163113857.jpg

PXL_20230520_163145676.jpg

Now I am not sure what varnish to use as it seems the original one from the manufacturer has almost a milky white haze finish to it:
PXL_20230520_163126944.jpg

The flooring is from B&Q (GoodHome Sumbing Grey Oak Real wood top layer flooring) and sadly there is no additional information apart that the floor boards were varnished.

Would anyone have any advice of how to best match it? Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Use X board or the felt rolls next time. I've made the same mistake with floor protection. Live and learn..

Milky white was water-based varnish and the guy I recommend for flooring uses a German brand that £100 + for 5lt. That's clear though.

Give these a call.

Use X board or the felt rolls next time. I've made the same mistake with floor protection. Live and learn..

Milky white was water-based varnish and the guy I recommend for flooring uses a German brand that £100 + for 5lt. That's clear though.

Give these a call.

Thank you for the suggestion, I contacted them and the had a call back from Mr Littlefair himself had a lovely chat and he's going to mix a custom varnish for me :D I will update with the results once i get it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back