Material for lampshade.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I would like to ask if a lampshade frame can be covered in any sort of material or does it have to be heat resistant? An energy saving bulb equivalent to 100W will probably be used with the lampshade.

I understand that lampshades have their own recommended maximum voltage of bulb that is suitable, however, I am guessing that they are probably tested to ridiculously strict safety standards and that using a higher voltage bulb would pose no problem under normal working conditions.

The light will probably be only used for a maximum of one to two hours at a time, but could be longer occasionally. The shade is a large one with the material forming a diameter of about 30cm around where the bulb will be located, so the bulb won't be too close to the material anyway.

Obviously, I don't wish the shade to be a fire hazard and I don't want the material to scorch or become yellow in colour from the heat. Is it REALLY a danger to use 'normal' fabric or does it HAVE to be special heat resistant material?

Another thing I'd like to ask is about suitable glue for use to tape the edges of the material, etc. Would a hot glue gun be suitable, bearing in mind that the glue will encounter heat from the bulb? If not, what would be suitable glue to use for fabric, ie. doesn't cause yellowy stains to appear on the fabric, or melt and become loose, or smell with the heat, etc? I may also need suitable glue for binding parts of the metal frame together. Can one type of glue handle both the fabric and the metal?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just to save you filling out the insurance form, and the investigation by the police/fire bridge. I advise you to go onto the internet to buy a new lamp shade that meets your requirements. Let alone how much time you will save, not forgetting the cost of materials.

Andy

BS7671:2008 recomends that conbustable materials should be at least 500mm from direct electrical light.
Weather this is relevant to lampshades I am not sure, but the lampshade should be of a size suitable to the the heat that is given off by the lamp, I would go worst case, that your max watted could be 100watts, but the have stop selling that size lamp, and plenty of ventilation around the shade so heat can be lost.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm still wondering though, I have just cupped my hands around the light bulb in the room (I think it's the equivalent of 60 Watts though, not 100) and left them there for a good few seconds about 5cm away and at most felt a little warmth, not hot like radiators, however, we dry normal fabric clothes on radiators for hours, which we can't even touch due to how hot they become. Am I missing something?

Another thing; so all of these businesses on the Internet which offer a bespoke service allowing customers to send in their own fabric or wallpaper or whatever are operating an illegal service?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The previous posters are offering 'an opinion', they (and neither do I) do not know the relevant standards required whatever they may be. Really though, common sense prevails, you can pretty much hold a low energy bulb, and an inch or so away barely no heat at all can be detected so unless your workmanship is dreadful a 30cm dia shade is hardly gonna pose a threat. If you're that worried you could spray the fabric on the inside with a fire retardant spray.

to be honest iff your lamp[bulb] is 6" away from the material and the shade is open then there is no danger from a low energy bulb
now one test you can try is lay your material on a board[wood ply plastic]
then lay a 20w low energy bulb on the material for 2 hours with a 2 litres ice cream container on top to store the heat
then iff nothing much happens appart from the odd melt then you know they are safe

as you surmise the heat to cause melting is in the low one hundreds
to set alight is in the 300 plus range
i would doubt the bulb generates more than boiling point with fully restricted circulation ;)

Very few lampshades are heat resistant hence a bulb wattage recommendation on lampshade, there are many paper lampshades on the market, as long as you can hold your hand as close as the lampshade will be too the bulb without discomfort then the fabric should be fine.

Ok, thanks foxhole.

So, what kind of glue would be the suitable in terms of gluing the fabric? Would adhesive from a normal, cheap glue gun (around £11) melt with heat from the bulb? I have done some research on glue guns and have learnt that a low temperature glue gun should be used for fabrics. If this is the case, then won't the glue also melt again at the low temperature of the bulb?

Thanks.

Iron on fabric tape, or pva type fabric glues would be better. Unaffected by heat from a light bulb.

Thanks foxhole.

I don't think I'll be able to stretch the material, hold it in place AND get an iron into the awkward position inside the shade, which is round, all at the same time, so I think it'll have to be your second suggestion of pva fabric glue. It'll need to be very strong as it has to have the ability to hold fabric that has been stretched very taut. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back