Max length for meter tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two flats to wire. The two meters are in a common hallway serving both. It's about 4 metres into each flat from the meter.
Do I:

1. Put each consumer unit in a locked box and give the key to the tenants?

2. Run long meter tails and put the consumer units inside the flats? I'm assuming that for this option I would have to put a breaker just after the meter.

I can't find anything specific in the 17th ed. but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
It is usually limited by the DNO.

You would need to ring them up and ask, as it differers depending on who the DNO is, but often it is around 3 meters.

Personally I'd install a switchfuse adjacent to the meter / cutout, and supply the CU in the flat as a submains in 16.0mm² or 25.0mm² split con or SWA cable.

I'd go with RF's suggestion.

however a 'friend' of mine has meter tails that are 8 metres long!!!!!

And the DNO connected them up!!!

Shipley, Rob round the corner from me and NO I didn't put them in for him

OK, never used split con. Is it much more bendy and how do you terminate it?
Andy.

p.s. I suppose the obvious answer to the previous is yeah but, no but yeah but, Sharons friend says her mate's got meter tails that are 16 metres long but I never seen'em so she might be lying,yeah.

Sponsored Links
Presumably, if you have an isolator/switchfuse, this nominal 3m limit applies to the conductors 'twixt meter and isolator. Since it seems commonplace in apartment blocks to run split concentric (or SWA, or whatever) from the basement up to each apartment's CU, there seems to be no arbitrary (i.e. non technical) limit to that length of run.

Is that right?

Yup.

The 3 meter rule seems to generally apply to meter tails stright from the meter to their first termination point.

This is where the DNOs OCPD stops, and yours starts, so (in theory) any fault on the installation will take out your fuse and not theirs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back