max lighting wattage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am under pressure to fit some new light fittings which have multiple bulbs i.e. 6 x 40W and wondered what the maximum should be on a standard lighting ring(already got some in place). My memory of these in the past has been that bulbs tend to blow really regularly, and I wondered if this was connected.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Twitchy,

The maximum you can have is generally determined by the fuse/mcb that you have protecting your circuit - most modern lighting circuits are on a 6A MCB - at 230V that gives you a maximum of 1380W. Assuming you don't have dozens of lights already attached, the extra 240W this fitting would add shouldn't be a problem but you would need to check. (I believe you are allowed some diversity because not all lights are expected to be on at once but I don't have the book to hand to check exact figures at this time of night).

Whether you need 6 x 40W bulbs is another matter, unless its a big room you may find that too bright.

Exceeding the maximum for the lighting 'ring' (actually lighting is (almost) always a radial circuit not a ring) would cause the fuse/MCB to blow, but not the bulbs.

One thing that can cause it is if you have a high voltage - my house runs at 247V, which is still within the allowed limits, but if you use bulbs rated at 230V then the life will tend to be shorted. Of course, other problems with the wiring can also cause it...

Hope that helps - feel free to ask if you are unsure. I am sure others will add their wiser and more experienced words of advice...

Gavin

Other factors that contribute to short lamp life are excessive vibration, poor quality bulbs, frequent switching, excessive heat. I'm sure there are more.

Sponsored Links
try replacing the switches if it hasn't been done recently, i belive old switches are often a cause of bulb failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back