Maximum opening of first floor windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't seem to find an answer to this on the internet so does anyone here know the answer.
My employer has fitted new UPVC windows in the office where I work. The windows only open about 6 inches on the first floor and above as they have been fitted with a locking mechanism which when opened restricts their movement.
The old windows could be swung open so the window was at a right angle to the frame, and beyond. Creating maximum airflow.
The building manager has informed me the restriction is a Health and Safety matter - presumably in case i fall out!!! . It doesn't appear to matter that the room is hot even in mid October.
Is there a regulation covering window openings on first floor and above?

Sponsored Links
sometimes restrictors have buttons or clips than can be operated often before fully open to allow greater opening
do you have a second means off escape as a fire exit ??
sometimes a window is a fire exit should should open fully

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

There are two exits from the room that are fire escapes and this is one reason why I believe the restrictors are in place.

The restrictors do have clips but also a locking nut is in place preventing full movement of the restrictor / opening of the window. I did take an allen key to move the the nut in the summer, for greater opening of the windows, but this resulted in some jobsworth reporting me and one or two others.

Looking for some kind of clarification on the subject. In the summer it is like working in a greenhouse.

no health and safety or union rep to express the problems you are having with excessive heat :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
You will probably be aware that whilst there is a "suggested" minimum temperature for the workplace, there is no maximum suggested temperature - The Workplace (Health Safety and Welfare) Regs 1992

These regs do say that the temperature ... "shall be reasonable".

However the law for workplace temperature is separate for that applicable to the windows ... so you can't use the argument that a safety device on the windows should be removed to allow a cooler workplace. There are other options

Normally you find that these "restrictors" can be disengaged to allow wider opening for cleaning, or if the window is designated an escape window, for escape

You would be acting unlawfully if you tamper with a safety device on a window whatever its designated use

The employer could be acting unlawfully if he impeded operation of an escape window by restricting it's opening

Likewise, there are duty of care issues too on both of you

It can be a complex area when arguing "H&S" issues, so as Al suggested, contact a rep if available or bring the matter up with your line manager

Thanks for your help

It is much as I thought and not a lot I can do. Union not prepared to help. Have had a H&S risk assessment.

Shorts and T-Shirt it will be from now on and my line manager who is insisting I don't wear shorts, probably because of my unsightly legs, can go ......

CBA to argue my point any more

Thanks very much again

Try a fan placed at the bottom of the window to suck air in. The hot air should get pushed out the top. Worth a shot. Even better if you have a couple of windows and you can set up a through-flow.

Gary

Ahh diddums, undo another shirt button.

Last year we had to warm the saw fence with a blow-lamp to prevent the timber freezing to the metal whilst shovelling snow of the scaffold boards just to keep warm.

Tough life innit.

Ahh diddums, undo another shirt button.

Last year we had to warm the saw fence with a blow-lamp to prevent the timber freezing to the metal whilst shovelling snow of the scaffold boards just to keep warm.

Tough life innit.
In fairness to the OP whilst you're happy to sweat your nads off on a daily basis office work is supposed to be comfortable. Its no good you getting on your high horse either saying office workers don't work hard either just a different type of work.

Just to add if you look at my previous posts you will see i have helped build my own house and currently am helping build the extension to it. I love working outside hot or cold.

All i wanted to know the restricting of window openings where i work allowed.

It is easier to adjust to colder temperatures, put on a jumper, than to warmer ones......Shovelling snow off scaffold boards nought like picking carrots and parsnips after an overnight frost. Been there and done that as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back