maybe a question for the tiling experts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been watching this program in the mornings on Sky where this guy (I think he is a professional builder or contract manager or similar) is building a timber frame house from scratch for himself (can't remember the name of the program).

They keep saying he does not do anything by halves and goes for the best. He is a professional has all professionals in as he doesn't seem to actually physically be doing much himself.

Anyway he had these two tilers in and they were tiling the bathroom for him. The tiles are about 8"x10" and they were putting 6 dobs of adhesive on the actual tile and pressing it into place. I thought this was the bodgers way of tiling or am I wrong and it is a valid method?

I thought you only use this method for the odd tile when you cant get the adhesive spreader in?

Anyway the builder questioned the tilers about this method so I thought he realises this is wrong and will put them straight, but they explained and he seemed happy much to my surprise.

They said that when you use the spreader on the wall you only get a thin layer of adhesive and it follows the wall, good or bad, whereas with this method you can press less or more depending in certain places to get it level, seems to make sense to me.

Plus there is virtually no glue to wipe away when you want to stop for a break and you can see any markings on the wall still as they are not obscured by adhesive.

All makes it sound like a better method to me but I am sure somewhere in the past I heard that, that is a bodgers way of tiling, what you guys think?

Also does it not leave the tiles more vulnerable, ie if you were to lean or press against a area where there is no adhesive wouldn't it crack more easily, or would you just spread the dabs a little to eliminate this?

I'd appreciate your comments guys as I have some tiling I would like to do soon, and this method seems easier.

Is it possible that these so called professional tilers were wrong and even though the builder questioned them, and they ended up showing a bodgers way of tiling and he didn't question it even though he is supposed to be so knowledgeable?

The other thing I thought of is that, although what he says makes sense about tiling on a surface that may not be perfectly level, in this case it is perfectly level as they are all brand new plasterboard walls, but then if this method is acceptable why not use it everywhere.

Also would it be ok for floors with what I mentioned above about weak spots, so would you revert to the normal method of spreading the adhesive on the floor?

Very interested in what you guys think about this, and to know if it is ok.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm Where to start.

First floors. These need a continuous bed of adhesive to prevent movement and to stop them sounding hollow when you walk on them. If you reduce the contact area between the tile and adhesive you increase the chances of movement. Thats why everyone advises to get the floor levelled first.

Walls. Voids between the tiles and the walls increase the probability of failure and creates a space for mould, dampness and other horrible afflictions. Don't forget grout is not waterproof only resistant so it can pass moisture. While I understand the occasional use of this dab technique in certain areas I wouldn't recommend it.

If you read the manufacturers instruction it never refers to a dab method.

Thats my view anyway.

agreeing with toptec, also the against column it takes ages to do, if your tiling a wall thats on the pee a little you may have to butter the tile too, but i still spread the wall either way, and if you really feel that its not thick enogh for your particular tile or job the only solution would be to get a bigger notch trowel

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for all the advice and thankyou gcol for that link, it makes it clear why not to use dot and dabbing. I see all the weaknesses of that method now. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back