Tiling Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Mrs Secure and I have chosen some tiles which the tiler (rightly or wrongly) is a little unhappy about cutting.

We have bought 248 x 198 ceramics and for a border tile on top have bought a glass tile 200 long (can't remember the other dim).

We wanted two rows of the border tile, set in a "brick" pattern. Obviously, this neccesitates cutting tiles at the end of the run. The tiles have a painted backing which the tiler says may not cut cleanly and may show when up on the wall.

Also, we were under the impression that the glass tiles were, like the ceramic ones, to be separated by grout, but we have been advised that both their horizontal and vertical edges should be butted up without gaps.

Is that right?

Thirdly, we have been told it is imperative that PVA is applied to the plaster before the tile adhesive otherwise the adhesive will not adhere properly - is that correct?

I've already had a bit of a ding-dong with this guy because he said he wanted to use 40mm pipe throughout and I insisted he changed to a larger diameter once outside. He shrugged his shoulders and said "You are the client."

Also, he insisted that his "waterproof" tile adhesive was sufficient protection between the tiles and the plasterboard, but I have put my foot down and got him a tanking kit.

Well, I am the client....

I want to get my facts straight so I can be confident with him. Can you help with my tiling queries, please?

Sponsored Links
think you need to put your foot down and get a new tiler...

I appreciate what you're saying.

But can you help with the queries?

Sponsored Links
I have never done glass tiles so I can't comment on those queries.

I assume we are talking about a bathroom here? If that is the case then PVA is not a good idea. PVA softens when it gets wet so it is not a good idea for a wet area like a bathroom. It depends largely on what the manufacturer of the tile adhesive to be used says. Some will recommend no primer, others will make a specific recommendation about the type of primer to use. I would guess none would recommend PVA in a bathroom.

Waterproof tile adhesive means it wont disintegrate when it gets wet, it does not mean it is impervious to water. If the area you are talking about is a shower then plain plasterboard is not a good idea. At the very least it should be tanked. Prefrable is to use concrete backer boards for the "wet" areas and MR plasterboard everywhere else.

all manufacturers that i come into contact with now specify an acrylic primer, not pva. some adhesives are self priming and dont need it. Most specifically state pva should not be used as it reacts with the polymers in modern adhesives.

Cutting the glass borders can be fun but if he's got a good watercooled cutter then it should be no problem, he may have a point if the backing is brittle and liable to come off whilst cutting. Not sure about the no joint issue as i dont know which border your talking about, but no joint means nothing for the grout to key to and a sure way for water to get through to the plasterboard if not tanked and your in a shower.

Thank you guys. It is a bathroom.

It will be tanked, I've bought the chap a Mapei kit from Screwfix.

I understand there will be no grout joint, but aren't some glass border tiles designed to be fitted as such?

I'll post a piccy a little later.

Looks like these tiles are a case of "Look good. Nightmare to fit...." ;)

not many are designed like that, and the ones that do have an interlocking edge.

Doesnt sound like you have picked anything too exotic

First picture: White ceramic tiles and glass border tiles laid out on lounge floor:

Tile1.jpg

Border tile on its own: 200 x 50m BTW

Tile3.jpg

Label (in case that tells you who made it):

Tile2.jpg

B&q borders they are. used them myself on a job last week and easy to cut and fix, and a bargain at £1each!
Make sure white adhesive is used!!
PVA is a swearword for tiling..... even though some tubs state its ok i personally wouldnt risk it

OK, so no PVA.

Easy to cut and fix. But with water cooled cutter, yes?

used them myself on a job last week

Don't suppose you got a piccy? ;)

Do you agree that they should not be butted up and should be grouted all round?

When you cut them, did you put the cut edge on the inside? Does it show, as the tile has a slight chamfer?

How were your border tiles arranged?

I'm very interested as you fitted the exact same tile. ;)

I didnt take pics as i only take pics of high spec jobs now, sorry.
But i didnt butt them up, i personally prefer spacers as the grouting is more thorough afterwards. i kept the cut edges on the internal walls as i always use silicone on any internal wall. lots use grout but i guarantee it will crack!! Silicone always for me.

The job was just basic white ripple ceramic tiles floor to ceiling with the border going around the room just under half way up. but the green did add a little detail to the room as just plain white all round would be to boring.

Let us know what u decide and take piccies as we love to see before/afters:)

Thanks paul.

Not sure if I've got any before piccys. The room is bare now, save for the WC, which we had replaced a few months back.

I'll see if I can find some I've taken in the family album or maybe one the surveyor took before we bought the place.

We have pretty much decided on the pattern you see in the pics.

The white tiles are 198 and the borders 200, so I'm not quite sure how that will work. Unless we stagger the borders with the whites, unlike I have done in the piccy above.

Mrs Secure reckons it will look like a Victorian public loo, but she likes it nonetheless!!

Did you have a single row?

EDIT: found a piccy:

Insidebathroom.jpg

Where the sink is is now the doorway and where the door is in that pic will be a shower cubicle. It was originally two rooms and they just boarded up the door with plasterboard on one side and hardboard on the other and put a sink unit in front of it!!

Found another pic:

This is a similar shot funnily enough, after a bit of jiggery pokery. And after a bit of alteration work too. ;)

InternalOfBathroom.jpg

Yes, I know.............the shampoo bottle hasn't moved.... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back