Maybe a stupid question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am looking to install an outside socket to supply some christmas lights. Now normally (I am part P registered) I would SWA it inside, and then to fused spur either into the ring or back to the CU.

The only trouble is, that the people want to have it on a plug into an existing socket, and then a timer controlling the lights. I am fine running the SWA into the house, into a metal backbox with switched fused spur, but something that I am unsure on is can I then run flex from the Fused spur onto a plug to plug into a socket?

I would normally say no, but as it is only supplying low voltage christmas lights and the total power usage is only 650W (approx 2.5A) I wouldnt see this as a major problem from a cable point of view.

The regs dont seem to 'un-muddy' the water on this one for me.

Whats your views???

Sponsored Links
Why the need for a fused spur if it's fed via a plug-top?

never seen one of those with the timer built in! I have seen a socket with built in timer, but not a fused spur. That looks ideal, but I is quite expensive especially as they have their own timer already.

The reason for the fused spur as well as the plug, is pretty much to connect the SWA to the flex, and have a switch with a neon. Suppose it doesnt have to be fused.

One of my other spark firends also mentioned that you can run the socket directly from flex, as it will be going above a porch way (on the first floor) so shouldnt be subject to anything that would compromise the cable. IS this the case, as if so, it may just be easier to run a piece of flex through (its the rubber outside flex).

Sponsored Links
you could use the flex straight from a plug top, that way it's an appliance. More of an extension lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back