MCB tripped now no power at all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wired a new light in my stables. Removed 6 amp MCB whilst installing unit has another 45amp MCB for sockets this was working when I was doing the wiring however when I finish the wiring and replaced the 6 amp MCB all power has now been lost. Only these 2 MCB's are in the unit. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Just wired a new light in my stables. Removed 6 amp MCB whilst installing unit has another 45amp MCB for sockets this was working when I was doing the wiring however when I finish the wiring and replaced the 6 amp MCB all power has now been lost. Only these 2 MCB's are in the unit. Any ideas?

Why would you remove the 6amp MCB from the Garage unit when adding a light - why didn't just the switch the DP or DP/RCD isolator?

I assume that the Garage Unit has been wired as per Building Regulations and BS7671 so check where the power to the stables Garage Unit and MCB comes from and check that the power is on there.

Is there an RCD protecting the supply? This could have tripped.
45A seems like an odd size for a socket circuit.

Sponsored Links
Why would you remove the 6amp MCB from the Garage unit
Probably because it's a wooden back Wylex board, dark brown in colour, been there for 50 years and has been 'upgraded' with 2 plug in MCBs. It's grossly overloaded and supplied with a couple of 7/0.29 singles from the main building, wires strung overhead and supported on a piece of string.
The power has failed because the constant overloading caused the busbar to deform and the supports to crumble away. Pulling the MCB out caused the busbar to fall out of the main switch, and the entire thing is now ruined beyond repair.

Or that could all be lies.

Why would you remove the 6amp MCB from the Garage unit when adding a light - why didn't just the switch the DP or DP/RCD isolator?

I assume that the Garage Unit has been wired as per Building Regulations and BS7671 so check where the power to the stables Garage Unit and MCB comes from and check that the power is on there.[/quote]

The sables are about 100meters away from the house so I will have to check where the cable goes to I presume it goes to the meter at the side of the house. Not been here very long so still finding my way around the wiring etc. new property so should be up to latest standards.

The stables are about 100meters away from the house so I will have to check where the cable goes to I presume it goes to the meter at the side of the house. Not been here very long so still finding my way around the wiring etc. new property so should be up to latest standards.

If it is a new property then you should have been given an Electrical Installation Certificate and there should be a diagram or set of tables next to the Consumer Unit which tells you, amongst other things, which area each circuit covers.

The stables are about 100meters away from the house so I will have to check where the cable goes to I presume it goes to the meter at the side of the house. Not been here very long so still finding my way around the wiring etc. new property so should be up to latest standards.

If it is a new property then you should have been given an Electrical Installation Certificate and there should be a diagram or set of tables next to the Consumer Unit which tells you, amongst other things, which area each circuit covers.

All are labelled consumer unit in house and unit in stables. Nothing wrong with CU in house but nor sure what the problem is with unit in stables.

All are labelled consumer unit in house and unit in stables. Nothing wrong with CU in house but nor sure what the problem is with unit in stables.
As Spark123 alluded to; is the cable to the stables covered by an RCD at the house?

You really need to find out where it's wired from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back