MCB unit

Sponsored Links
how do i remove a MCB unit from mains power box tried pulling it out but it wont budge help !!

I want to help you but I am concerned that you probably should not be working on a consumer unit. Are you trained in anyway to do so?

Can you tell us why you want to remove an MCB?
Thanks

its 2 yr old unit installed by local council i have just put in a new 10 watt shower but the 30 amp keeps tripping an electrician had a quick look and told me to replace MCB with a 40 amp

Sponsored Links
its 2 yr old unit installed by local council i have just put in a new 10 watt shower but the 30 amp keeps tripping an electrician had a quick look and told me to replace MCB with a 40 amp

1) What size, cross sectional area (CSA) is the cable from consumer unit to shower?
2) Is there an isolator switch either outside the bathroom or in the bathroom as a pull cord switch?
3) Is your new shower 10KWatt as opposed to 10 watt?

Thanks,

It's a two year old unit, that the council installed?
It has a 30A breaker?
Does not sound right :confused:
Are sure it's not 32A MCB?

But we need to know the size of the cable, you can't just go changing the MCB, without being sure the cable can take the current, very dangerous!

Edited my previous post, but as BAS has asked as has sparkticus and EFLImpudence
We need to know the size of the cable, you can't just go changing the MCB, without being sure the cable can take the current, very dangerous!

Echoing what has already been said - the 32 amp mcb suggests the cable may be too small to feed a 10 kW shower.

Need to know size of cable. You should be aware that cable size is measured by the cross sectional area of the live and neutral conductors, so it could be very hard for you to measure.

Newer cable tends to have the size stamped on it.

Hmm. Lets get out the old Ohms law.

10,000watts/230v = 43.5amps so putting in a 40amp breaker falls at the first hurdle of the cable/current/CPD selection process..

Take the shower back and install one of the same rating as the old one.

PS is there an RCD in the this circuit, anywhere?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back