MCS Rule - Homeowners Present

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity, and serendipity, I have a visit from a PV seller tomorrow to give me a quote.

I had to deal with "head office" and was told that under the MCS rules, both homeowners (me and my wife) are supposed to be present during their quotation process. Does anyone know if this is true?

Sponsored Links
I had to deal with "head office" and was told that under the MCS rules, both homeowners (me and my wife) are supposed to be present during their quotation process. Does anyone know if this is true?
I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that "the MCS rules" would have anything to say about such an issue, since MCS cweertification is primarily about 'ensuring'(and 'certifying') teh quality of work.

I would suspect that it is far more likely that the company concerned want both owners present in the hope that they can persuade you to sign a contract 'on the spot' (which could well require the signatures of all house owners).

However, that's all speculation so hopefully someone will have a more definitive/informed answer for you!

Kind Regards, John

Its as John & Mottie say, its so they have the conditions in place that they can push for a signature at the time, northing to do with MCS rules but is probably based off a rule on the financial side, and their skirting very close to the line on it.

Considering they have started on the mis-direction already, I would advise you think carefully about whether you wish to deal with them

I expect the expierence will be similar to being sold double glazing, a quick walk around to measure up, wax lyrical on their product, a high quote, but if you hang on just a moment, he will ring his boss, and he'll offer you a 50% discount of you sign on the dotted line and it still ends up being a rip off price, but now its just within the bounds of crediability

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They like to have the wife there so if she's duped by the salesman/woman, they'll get a contract signed there and then.
Whatever happens, do not forget that you have 14 days to withdraw from anything you sign.
Some salespeople are very good, that's why the cooling off period was introduced in law.

The wife could always be called away “urgently” to deal with a family crisis. Arrange a phone call timed to take place during the visit and use it as your get out if necessary.

Its as John & Mottie say, its so they have the conditions in place that they can push for a signature at the time, northing to do with MCS rules but is probably based off a rule on the financial side, and their skirting very close to the line on it. ....
.... I expect the expierence will be similar to being sold double glazing, a quick walk around to measure up, wax lyrical on their product, a high quote, but if you hang on just a moment, he will ring his boss, and he'll offer you a 50% discount of you sign on the dotted line and it still ends up being a rip off price, but now its just within the bounds of crediability
Indeed - but you forgot to add that that "50% discount" (which still results in a rip-off price) will only be availabel if everyone signs the contract 'by midnight today' :)

Kind Regards, John

Good. Glad you can smell BS too.

My limited understanding of MCS is they the certify the installer by checking insurances, staff qualifications, processes etc. Perhaps a site visit to check installation quality though probably unusual. What they don't do is care about the end customer or the money.

I have absolutely no intention of buying from them. If they have a head office and regional sales folk, they are already admin top heavy. IF I were ever to go down the PV route, I'd use a local contractor who would most likely use Google Earth to work out roof orientation, how many panels etc etc and be able to do the entire quote online with a site visit to seal the deal.

I did have a door salesman round a couple of years ago to quote for two external doors. Poor fella tried every trick and didn't make it past my porch. Quoted me north of £9k. Still makes me giggle.

Good. Glad you can smell BS too.
It's not too difficult when the smell is very strong :)
I have absolutely no intention of buying from them ...
If it weren't tomorrow, I'd be inclined to suggest that you called them and made that very clear, and see if they still wanted to give you a quote! I suppose you could try saying something along those lines when they turn up tomorrow, and see if they stay!

Kind Regards, John

Had a quick look on facebook and saw 2 recommended. Always worth getting a few quotes?
I have no affiliation with these companies and have not used their services....

Rough install costs are currently £1200-1300/kwp of solar & £600-650/kWh of battery. The price of the equipment has come down a lot recently.

Just make it clear from the start that you will not be signing anything today, (day of meeting), and you are looking for information/costs only, at the present time. You want to read, and digest at leisure, what you are entering into.
And stay resolute to that statement.

When it comes to getting solar panels installed I always have one piece of advice;

Run

F*CK!

Had a quick look on facebook and saw 2 recommended. Always worth getting a few quotes?
I have no affiliation with these companies and have not used their services....

Rough install costs are currently £1200-1300/kwp of solar & £600-650/kWh of battery. The price of the equipment has come down a lot recently.

Well that made me giggle too. Those installers in Aberdenshire are 100+ miles away. Scotland is a big place.

Thanks for the rule of thumb figures though :giggle:

Just make it clear from the start that you will not be signing anything today, (day of meeting), and you are looking for information/costs only, at the present time. You want to read, and digest at leisure, what you are entering into.
And stay resolute to that statement.

Oh I told that to HQ from the outset. Told the fella today too when he called to confirm the appointment. Be interesting to see if they follow the window sales route of sending a salesman out rather than a surveyor.

Oh I told that to HQ from the outset. Told the fella today too when he called to confirm the appointment. Be interesting to see if they follow the window sales route of sending a salesman out rather than a surveyor.
They have real 'surveyors' ?? :)

Let us know what happens!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back