MCS Rule - Homeowners Present

Well that was an interesting encounter.

First off, I contacted MCS. "Both homeowners present" isn't a MCS requirement. Supplier has to abide by HIES' consumer code. Quick chat with them, and it's not their requirement. Only time they'd prefer another adult present would be when selling to a vulnerable adult. So, the smell of BS was real.

Fella arrived on time and pulled up in a new A-class Merc. Well dressed, early 20s if that, strong whiff of aftershave. So clearly sales and nowt to do with surveying.

I told him I was just after numbers as a source of thought and wasn't going to buy this year. Showed me pretty pictures of panels and inverters mounted in the attic space (interestingly, the photo showed no way of isolating the panels from the inverter, only an AC isolator) . Said they'd run cables down the inside of the wall cavity to the meter. Looked at Google Earth, picked the house, and started off trying for 20 panels; 10 front, 10 back even though the house faces SW and the rear gets only a few hours of direct light. He cut it back to 10, said they'd be rated 4kW, generate 3505kWh pa and cost £6642 + £342 for the insurance backed 10 year guarantee. Not pushy, just a pleasant chat.

What he didn't do is: measure angle of the roof, check the condition of the roof, look at the meter, walk around the outside space.

All that happened standing by the front door, total time less than 10 minutes, figures handwritten on a blank sheet of A4. He knew he wasn't going to get a sale so clearly didn't need to put in the effort.

Worth noting that the price is broadly inline with @SpecialK's figure. Does that mean he cut past the "I'll check with my manager" routine, or was he genuinely going to give me the best price straight off? Would another supplier be within a few £100s?

Sponsored Links
Well that made me giggle too. Those installers in Aberdenshire are 100+ miles away. Scotland is a big place.

Thanks for the rule of thumb figures though :giggle:
Solar installers travel miles it seems! No good if you want someone to come back and repair a fault.... it's not likely to be same/next day.

Well that was an interesting encounter.
Thanks for the update - I suppose much as we had all expected! As you say, perhaps the only surprise was that the price quoted was apparently reasonable, without any contrived 'discounts' etc. Was there not even the qualification that the price quoted would only be available to you for a very short time?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Was there not even the qualification that the price quoted would only be available to you for a very short time?
Nope. All quite straight forward.

Equally, no product brochures, payback estimates, assumptions etc left for me to look through.

Nope. All quite straight forward. Equally, no product brochures, payback estimates, assumptions etc left for me to look through.
Interesting. Maybe, in view of the 'warning' you had given them, they didn't feel that you were a 'prospect' worth pursuing very rigorously?

Kind Regards, John

Installing invertors in the attic is allowed but MCS rules say an interlinked smoke detector has to be fitted.

Of course fitting in the attic is the easy and cheaper option since it only needs one AC isolator and saves on cable but it does make it awkward for the home owner to access, especially as they get on in years.

Best practice must surely be to run the DC cables to the invertor in the garage say, with DC isolators at either end of the cable. Maybe in larger properties the invertor should be in a cupboard, but still accessible.

And this is what happens when the well meaning amateur (me) spends five minutes poking about YouTube. Of course, that five minutes of YouTube before going to bed is the best four hours of the day.

Well, well, well.

They called me, brief chat, told them I was only doing a bit of research to establish ball park numbers and have no interest in buying. Two days later, I get an email. From their trade department. Stock reserved for 7 days. 20% deposit, balance on completion.

Recommended Fully supplied & Installed Solar System on Roof of your Property:
(Fully Installed per MCS regulations & certificate included)
⦁ 4kw Solar Pv Panels (10 x 405W panels) Dmegc All Black
⦁ Growatt Inverter to match system size
⦁ Appropriate racking system,wiring,isolator switches & App to monitor daily generation
Totalling Discounted cost: £ 5,978.00

So why the trade department? Is that to make me feel special? Next month will their mates rates department offer me another 10%? December might be the we're in your area department's turn? And they're happy to knock off a bit without ever inspecting the state of the roof or giving me a detailed report?

All quite comical really.

I've been told several times in my life that to get "the deal of the century" I need to sign now.

I have always refused.

One told me I would regret it if I didn't sign. I told her that there were a few things in life I regretted but signing a deal was not one of them.

I said that I have sometimes regretted buying something but never regretted not buying something.

A double glazing salesman once priced me 4 medium sized bedroom windows at 5 figures. He was so sure he could get me to sign. In the end I told him to go away and showed him the door.

He tried the crap that dodgy car dealers do: I'll talk to my sales manager and get a deal arranged that you will find very attractive. **** off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back