MDF stairs decoration ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for ways of decorating MDF stairs without adding too much thickness to the actual stairs, my builder hasn't done a great job and the stairs heights are not equal and I want to avoid increasing the stairs' heights. I know one option is to paint them but are there any other options? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Image of the stairs:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can't see the stairs, however paint goes on very thinly and will not make any difference to the height of your stairs

Here's the link to image (https://imgur.com/a/nVauvoL). My only concern is that this is a place of business and since the stairs are made out of MDF, they may become damaged if they're only covered with paint, can you suggest any other options, like thin layers of laminate (I don't if there's even such a thing) that can be used for this?

Sponsored Links
builder you say?
carpet. filler. paint.
Well a carpenter contracted by my builder did it. Carpet is not really ideal, I'm probably going to use filler for the holes/gaps and then paint if I don't find any other options, what kind of paint would you recommend?

MDF stairs- yuck.
You could try silk emulsion with some sand mixed in (to give some grip), you could try gloss with the same trick but they may both look carp & be high maintenance (ok for a fire escape but who wld build an MDF fire escape)?

MDF stairs- yuck.
You could try silk emulsion with some sand mixed in (to give some grip), you could try gloss with the same trick but they may both look carp & be high maintenance (ok for a fire escape but who wld build an MDF fire escape)?
I had no idea about building materials and I put my trust in the building company, he's the one who suggested that I buy the MDF stairs from Selco, it's been a really disappointing experience but I did learn quite a lot.

is there not such a thing as interior floor or stair paint.
I know the missus is into chalk painting everything atm. think it’s rustoleum.
don’t know if it’s appropriate.

Just a quick update, if anyone comes across this thread and is looking for a similar product, I managed to find vinyl floor tiles which are usually around 2mm thick, they can be bought from most diy stores, you can also buy them online as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back