MDF vs Wood Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to clad the stair-well of my cellar. The cellar has not been tanked & therefore the walls are somewhat damp (not too bad!). Will water resistant MDF t&g panels cope with these damp conditions.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooowww helen w and welcome :D :D

the trouble is the dampness will get trapped as your blocking off the air flow

things will look great for a while then your magnolia will start to develop a dalmation effect as mold and mildew work there magic :cry:

I don't think the mdf itself would be too badly affected, I have had standard mdf shelving in my cellar (which can get a bit damp sometimes) for years and they still look the same. Maybe you should batten the walls to create a gap, and leave a small gap above the floor and below the ceiling to allow ventilation behind the cladding. Isn't there a paint for bathrooms that is more reststant to humidity that you could use. It may be worth painting a sample piece and leaving it down there for a while to see what happens to it.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any ventilation in the cellar,if not it might be a good idea to try to sort some kind of cross-ventilation in there to give it some fresh air instead of the old stale cool air all the time,this will probably help out some of the damp problem too.

SD Carps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back