MEM CU help please. using different MCB's

If the cable was fine with a 20A MCB before it will still be fine. A 20A 2.5mm radial is pretty standard. No need to waste your pennies ;)
The 3A fuse (or whatever size it is) in the switched fused spur unit will protect the central heating wiring.

cheers Spark123. but i may not of explained it very well!! my fault!!

Basically the immersion heater was fed by the night rate meter, through a timer and 20 amp breaker. i am having this meter removed and need to still use the supply to theold immersion heater to feed the boiler, via a FCU.

i need to wire the feed back into the standard CU and need to fit the 10A MCB into the CU to supply the boiler. Does that still sound ok??

cheers

george

Sponsored Links
why 10A?

the boiler needs a 3A fuse (you can get MEM 3A MCBs but they are uncommon)

Any rating greater than 3A you will have to use a FCU with a 3A cartidge fuse for the boiler

So 20A is no worse than 10A or 6A, you still need an FCU.

why 10A?

the boiler needs a 3A fuse (you can get MEM 3A MCBs but they are uncommon)

Any rating greater than 3A you will have to use a FCU with a 3A cartidge fuse for the boiler

So 20A is no worse than 10A or 6A, you still need an FCU.

ahh right. the plumber is fitting the FCU and he did say it would be a 3 A jobby.

i need to take the supply from the CU still though once the meter is removed so should i use a 4 amp MCB in there (or one with a rating near to it)).

cheers

george

you can use whatever you want that is safe for the cable size.

If you use the 20A one you can put one or more sockets on the circuit as well, if for any reason you want to. It is just a radial.

Sponsored Links
if you're having the meter removed, you can get the tails put into a henley block with the main meter tails and use all the existing circuits on regular electricity..

if you're having the meter removed, you can get the tails put into a henley block with the main meter tails and use all the existing circuits on regular electricity..

but wouldnt the cables, which feed the meter being removed, be supplying the circuit BEFORE the meter?? might not be a bad thing actually lol!!!

george

they'd take out the meter and the cables supplying the meter, but the cables from the meter to the low rate fuse board could be connected to the cables feeding the regular rate fuse board..

( that's assuming you have 2 fuse boards, one for off peak that has things like immersion heaters and storage heaters etc.. )

all sorted - got one from Eyre and Elliston in Stratford. It was an EATON MCB and EATON are exactly the same as MEM apparently but held in stock in more places!!

cheers for the help people!!

george

Eaton bought out MEM and BILL a good few years back.

BILL was no more, and MEM kept on trading for a couple years under their name.

Eaton then re-branded as "Eaton MEM".

The kit is still as it was years ago - good solid kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back