MEM CU help please. using different MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have got a MEM cu and tried to fit a Merlin Gerin MCB without sucess. Do any other type apart from MEM fit these units?? and would it be one b&q stock??

there is no electrical wholesalers open on a sunday round us!!

cheers

george

Sponsored Links
You should not even attempt to fit any other brand into your CU.

Sponsored Links
You'd be lucky to get bill on special order from an electrical wholesaler.

The company ceased trading about 10 years ago.

hi

i have got a MEM cu and tried to fit a Merlin Gerin MCB without sucess. Do any other type apart from MEM fit these units?? and would it be one b&q stock??

there is no electrical wholesalers open on a sunday round us!!

cheers

george

MEM have also changed there breakers several times, and they are not all interchangable. Which one have you got.

Im not aware of any other makes that are inter-changeable with MEM so you'll have to wait until tomorrow to do the job properly ;)

MEM, Bill Talisman and EATON are all interchangeable..

they are all owned and produced by EATON...

As RF says, it is certainly not a good idea to start fitting different makes of MCB into a board (unless in your case MEM Eaton says you can) as the board will then become not fully type tested.

What size MCB are you after? What is the model no of the existing MCBs? I have one or two MEM MCBs kicking about, I'm pretty sure others will have bucket loads of them too.

quite a big bucket

better still, some RCBOs of course

thanks for all the replies and help - its really appreciated. :)

i am after a 10 amp MCB to fit on the RCD protected side of the CU for a boiler feed. The feed is already there but its got a 20 amp MCB for the original immersion heater in the hot water tank so just need to drop the rating for the supply.

i am going to need to fit an RCBO and a new lighting corcuit to the bathroom as this is currently on the house lighting coircuit - no seperate upstairs and downstairs. I am having down lighters in the bathroom and the current lighting MCB is on the non RCD protected side of the CU, so an RCBO should cover the bathroom circuit so will be after one of these as well!!! Electrician with Part P doing all the work in the bathroom for me!!

I was going to pop to CEF tomorrow cos could do with one for the boiler by Tuesday so the plumber can get on with fitting the boiler.

thanks for the offers though!!

cheers

george

Can't you put a DP switched fused spur unit on the end of the 20A radial, or am I missing something?

yeah doing that as well but want to protect the cable as well. the plumber is fitting the FCU by the boiler but this is for the supply from the CU.

does that make sense/sound ok??

george

If the cable was fine with a 20A MCB before it will still be fine. A 20A 2.5mm radial is pretty standard. No need to waste your pennies ;)
The 3A fuse (or whatever size it is) in the switched fused spur unit will protect the central heating wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back