memory upgrade but fan now running excessively

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently upgraded my memory by 2GB and now seem to a slight issue in that the fan kicks in at a very audiable level - which it has never done previously.

This doesn't happen all the time butonly very occasionaly and never from start up, usually after 10/15 mins use, and it normal when I'm on the web?!

Sponsored Links
Any chance you know which fan? Is it case fans or CPU fan?

Presuming they are running on auto to compensate for heat, it would be odd for a memory upgrade to increase it that much, unless your PSU is working too hard with the new RAM installed. If the power supply isn't up to the task it will start pushing out a LOT of heat until it finally dies.

Another possibilty is that you knocked something whilst fitting the RAM, if the CPU heatsink is a little off kilter then it may not be working as well as it was, and thus requiring extra cooling.

Also does it have good airflow inside, if you've been moving lots of wires around this can have an impact on temperatures, make sure all wires are bundled together and away from fans so the air can circulate.

See if you can find an app for your motherboard that displays realtime temps, many support it now, if its an older one you may have to wait until it gets hot then restart and quickly check the temps in Bios.

Feel your power supply, and around the case, see if anywhere feels hotter than usual.

If nothing works try changing back to the old memory and see what happens. If its fine then probably means either PSU isn't good enough or the new RAM is putting out more heat. If it still goes wrong then you've probably moved something or its too late to save the PSU.

There can be many reasons to be honest, memory timings, clock speed, etc. Trial and error is the best way to go. Does it kick in when using intensive software? Games and the like?

I tend to go with, If I can't smell burning it will probably be OK..... :D

it kicked in again last night after being on for most of the day, although not used that much.

one consideration I didn't give was the current temperature, ie it had been a very hot day, so I guess it couled just be trying to compensate for the hotter than normal room temperature!?

I'll keep an eye on it as the outside temp cools down (as I'm sure it will) to see if it keeps on running.

certainy no burning smell, so all okay!!

Personally i'd say it is just the exra heat the new ram gives out, coupled with the case temps of recent warm days, just tips it over the threshold enough for the fan to kick in.
PSU is unlikely to be at fault as ram difference is measured in 10ths and 100ths of vaults, not enough to cause a psu any problems.

Depending on your case or system temp readings; reboot into bios after having had the pc on for a while is the best way to read accurate temps. If its high, then consider re-dressing your fan and cable configuration inside the case.
Otherwise i'd say its doing what its suppoed to do.

Sponsored Links
PSU is unlikely to be at fault as ram difference is measured in 10ths and 100ths of vaults, not enough to cause a psu any problems.

Depends to be honest, some Mobo's have auto over-clocking features, put in faster RAM and it can effect the whole lot, increasing voltages to CPU, and thus fans etc. This can then have a snowball effect and cause the PSU to work harder, causing more heat, more fan noise, more PSU, and so on.

Also even though the voltage is low, If he has put in 2 higher performing sticks, that can easily alter the wattage (which is what counts) by around 10 watts, even more more he's using older DDR1 as opposed to 2 or 3. If his PSU is borderline then 10 watts can easily send it over the edge.

Interesting point zorlac and although the OP is satisfied with his answer etc, i'll debate this further with you.
I would think that any mobo with an auto-overlcock feature would have at least a feature to auto reset the cmos when it encounters such a voltage difference, i.e. when different ram is installed, for safety's sake. My gigabyte boards do
Considering the 12v rails can fluctuate between 11v and 13v which is more likely to be a greater difference than the OPs collective ram voltage (difference) and any overclock done on the cpu again will only result in 10/100ths of a volt i think the psu would have to be walking the thinnest of thresholds as regards supplying power to the pc for it to be tipped over the edge.
As you say ram can cater for 10w, but that wouldn't easily send a psu off kilter, unless some muppet built the equivalent of a ferrari with a mini gearbox that was already maxed out.
Its possible i suppose, i just highly doubt it.
Would be interesting to know the OP full pc spec.

now you've lost me!

the pc was a standard from purchase, HP media centre, probably going on 5 years old - it had 532 of ram and I put in 2 1GB sticks, bought couple of weeks ago from crucial memory (i think thats the website?)

I think it may be due to the build up in heat in the room the pc is in - the fans has only ran 3/4 times, usually later in the day when the room has had the days sun and is fairly hot, buts its very intermitent.

pc has been left on all day, only applications being email and internet and when I have been in the room, the fan hasn't ran above the normal level although it does seem a bit cooler outside today

Just ignore us, PC ****ing contest! :D

I would say its nothing to worry about to be honest.

If your old 512 Memory was bottle-necking the system then the change in heat could just be the CPU working harder than it did before under certain circumstances.

But going from 1 stick of 512MB to 2 of 1GB will make a heat difference! If only because you have around 10 square inches of extra heat producing surface in your system.

If its old sdram then it is a possible 20+ watts extra PSU load. That will cause the PSU to work harder and pump more heat.

But as I said before, if you smell burning, worry, otherwise the fans are doing the job they were meant for. Just ignore it.

My current main gaming PC sounds like an Aircraft taking off... its got more fans than Stephen Fry on Twitter....

the fan (or extra fan noise) just kicked in adn only lasted for about 20/30 seconds but no smell of burning so will just keep an eye.

we had 2 256MB sticks orginially and put in 2 1GB on top of those, filling the vacant two slots, if that makes any difference?

on another point, I am now getting an error box and losing my broadband connection - the error message states something about the USB ... and do I want my modem to do something ? - I'll make not of the exact wording next time!

Any idea from my extensive description what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Back