Riello Burner RDB won't start

You are obviously ignoring my latest advice regarding the new pump then. :confused: :confused:

spraggo

Sponsored Links
You must be very cold!

If your going to continue trying to fix the fault yourself and I dont think you actually know what the fault is. I would of now found someone {oftec registered} to come and sort this out properly and get your home warm again.

more woes!

this time i did not run out of fuel :) got tank filled up a couple of days ago and last night boiler stopped. upon inspection today the problem is lack of oil.

i've checked at the filter on the tank and flows fine through that. there are no other filters in the line yer i have nothing coming out of the oil feed line at the boiler.

before it would always flow out naturally. i've checked the filter on the pump itself and thats clean as a whistle so at least no damage there this time (yet!).

i've tried 3 restarts with pump bleed valve open but nothing (lockout). so how else can i get the oil flowing? gave a few sucks on the pipe but not very keen on a mouthful of heating oil (though if that's what it takes i'll do it).

Can anyone advise a technique for getting the oil flowing - is there a standard way of doing this?

thanks.

You are obviously ignoring my latest advice regarding the new pump then. :confused: :confused:

spraggo

sorry spraggo - only just seen this. do you mean about trying to clean it? i would have had a look but matey took it away with him and didn't bring it back. though the second 'new' pump didn't appear to come in a box etc like the first one. interesting!

Sponsored Links
You must be very cold!

If your going to continue trying to fix the fault yourself and I dont think you actually know what the fault is. I would of now found someone {oftec registered} to come and sort this out properly and get your home warm again.

i'd have liked to but it seems like giving some a blank cheque and i just can't afford it. split from missus last year and she was the high earner :) just hoping to keep my house presently

Most systems self bleed when the tank is higher than the burner, but sometimes when the pipe turns upwards and then down again you get an air bubble which can be stubborn.
There is a special pump for this ( a bit like a bike pump really which decants into a bowl) but if all else fails, its a good suck :confused:
Once it starts flowing it will be fine so jam a thumb on the open end of the pipe, have a good spit then couple it back up to the burner.
I'm surprised you haven't got a brass fire valve around somewhere?
No matter, that should be open, unless someone has closed it!
Be lucky!
John :)

Most systems self bleed when the tank is higher than the burner, but sometimes when the pipe turns upwards and then down again you get an air bubble which can be stubborn.
There is a special pump for this ( a bit like a bike pump really which decants into a bowl) but if all else fails, its a good suck :confused:
Once it starts flowing it will be fine so jam a thumb on the open end of the pipe, have a good spit then couple it back up to the burner.
I'm surprised you haven't got a brass fire valve around somewhere?
No matter, that should be open, unless someone has closed it!
Be lucky!
John
:)
Exactly,the fire valve might need reseting?,check if oil is flowing thru it.

yes i have a brass firestop valve too. definately seems to be working as when it's shut I can't suck much but when open i can suck a good mouthful oo-0er.

i'll have a go shortly then

yes i have a brass firestop valve too. definately seems to be working as when it's shut I can't suck much but when open i can suck a good mouthful oo-0er.

i'll have a go shortly then

If you say that you can suck oil through, I can assure you that the pump has a far greater power to suck than you. Therefore if as you say the pump is new the only thing that will stop the pump sucking the oil through is because it is not spinning fast enough due to a worn coupling that connects the pump shaft to the motor shaft, known as a pump dog.

See if you can suck enough to start its flow by itself, just to clear any possible air, then reconnect to the burner.
I would be inclined to forgo any kissing promises for the rest of the day...... :p

If you say that you can suck oil through, I can assure you that the pump has a far greater power to suck than you. Therefore if as you say the pump is new the only thing that will stop the pump sucking the oil through is because it is not spinning fast enough due to a worn coupling that connects the pump shaft to the motor shaft, known as a pump dog.

no i can't get a mouthful of oil. i can get a mouthful of air. then i release and you can hear a bit of air gurgling like whatever i have sucked out is going back in. i've tried a full suck several times. wonder if it could be blocked somehow?

It sounds a bit like General Hospital but suck on the end of the pipe, stick your tongue over the orifice, take a breath and suck again etc until you get a mouthful :mrgreen:
Or...if possible....attach a piece of clear polythene tube to the pipe and suck on that - you'll then see whats heading your way!

Try bleeding the pump with the burner running, just undo the bleed screw enough to let air bubbles and oil through. Have plenty of old rags handy because once the air has been removed you will get oil spurting out at high pressure so be prepared to tighten the bleed screw quickly.

there is noi oil. not even air is coming through i think as there seems to be some kind of blockage. i can't get more than 2 breaths before i hit ultimate resistance ie like sucking on it with firestop closed. tried the cover hole with tongue technique and also shutting firestop between breaths.

darn wierd as oil is flowing fine from tank if i disconnect at filter

Which filter, on the tank or the oil line, how far is it away from the boiler, if you disconnested it on the flow in side you have obviously got a blocked filter.??????????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back