Riello Burner RDB won't start

Which filter, on the tank or the oil line, how far is it away from the boiler, if you disconnested it on the flow in side you have obviously got a blocked filter.??????????????

only 1 filter in the whole system, just after oil tank. disconnected the outbound side and good flow of oil. Tank is maybe 15 metres from boiler. and the tank bottom is higher than any other part of the system.

Sponsored Links
Then it is obvious that the oil line is blocked, is it not possible to diconnect the filter as you say and also diconnect the flexible oil line at the pump and the rig up a foot pump with some rubber or plastic tube and blow through the oil line either way?. Or get the plumber back and tell him to do his job correctly.

to be fair, this seems different to the original job so I'll let the plumber off this one :)

Not much flexibility at tank end unfortunately but I'll try both ends off at once tomorrow and see what I can do with it and a bike pump (not got footpump).

Sponsored Links
This topic has the hallmark of bambergaspipe. For those who don't know it was a university psychology group who were testing peoples reaction to plausible faults, and the replies went on and on. With increasing frustrations the dipstick group presumably thought they were discovering something worthwhile.

Three months to clear a blocked pipe is ridiculous, come to that, so is three hours.

As for the current blockage, it is quite likely to be ice in the fuel pipe. Either water got in via the the sight tube, where the top is exposed. or water was stirred up in the tank when fuel was delivered.

Remove the filter, connect a hose to the boiler end of the pipe, hold it up high, and pour hot water down it. When the ice melts it all flows out of the filter end. Then flush the pipe as normal, but do stop sucking the end of the pipe, buy an oil syringe.

3 months? it's only been blocked a couple of days! Had 6-8 weeks of heating before that - whoop!

I used the original topic for this problem as the title was still valid :) but that obviously has caused confusion and I seem to have used up the goodwill so I apologise and thanks to all for your answers. I've learned a fair bit. So lock away if that is what's needed.

Off now to see what I can do with this pipe with both ends free. if no joy I saw someone yesterday who has details of an alternative boiler / plumbing outfit I could call.

thanks again to all for your patience, and thanks to oilman for his recent suggestion. I do think it must be something to do with the latest delivery. I guess it could be ice but it ran for about 2 days after delievery and only locked out suddenly at about 11pm after running throughout that day (plus this was only 36 hours ago and everythging had been thawing round here for several days by then

John

and for all those saying just call someone, god i would like to and that's what I did the first time but there just seemed to be no end in sight - I'm not forking out over and over for the same stuff and labour for someone to come and and not fix it. I cannot afford it simple as that. when it comes to a choice between mortgage and boiler the boiler pales into insignificance (but it would be nice to be warm :))

Sorry, take oilmans advice and ignore mine, I did not realize that it was still freezing in Derbyshire yesterday.?????

Aw Spraggo. Have I not thanked you somewhere for your advice too? Sorry if not. I appreciate everyone's input, positive or negative. If I have to take both ends off today and can rig something up that might work I'll try your pumping before oilman's hot water (as I won't need to flush the pipe after if the pumping works I assume). Though I'm not confident I'll be able to get a good enough seal with whatever I cobble together. If that's the case then I'll try the hot water down the pipe first. Trying not to offend anyone here :) They are all ideas worth trying, just I'll start with the ones that cause involve less work / disruption I think. I could be wrong in that approach (as usual)

I'd say we've been thawing here in derbyshire for several days. Where I live is quite exposed (sink was blocked for a week the other week due to frozen waste pipe! It's still cold but above freezing during the day for the last few days.

The ice / water could well be a factor though as there is some water in the tank and it will have been disturbed during delivery. I've currently got the boiler end of the oil line off and hanging in a tub. There is a difference between yesterday and today in that yesterday there was absolutely nothing and today there is a drip every couple of seconds, so something is changing (slowly!). I might give it a few hours and see if it changes at all. The bulk of the oil pipe is buried underground. I've poured a few jugs of hottish water over the couple of feet exposed at the tank before it is buried

Have you taken the tank end of the pipe off to see if the fuel flowing there is clean and water free?
John :)

not yet but I shall do if the current drip rate does not increase over the next hour or two

Fingers crossed mate - I have a bottle of compressed air plus a blow gun on standby....great in situations like this.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back