Men in Womens sport

I don't think I'll be queuing up to see women dart players anytime soon.

IIRC back in the day, many East German, Russian and Romanian track and field athletes were frankenwomen.

Sponsored Links
What other sports can you think of that men & women can compete in with neither having an advantage ?
Synchronised swimming? :) Diving, golf, table tennis, bowling springs to mind. Oh and perhaps showjumping.

I don't think I'll be queuing up to see women dart players anytime soon.

IIRC back in the day, many East German, Russian and Romanian track and field athletes were frankenwomen.
Or men.

Sponsored Links
Interesting read. However is it fair to compare this instance with transgenderism? Specifically a man training for 10+ years with an expected high T count contributing to male development only to then compete as a trans woman against other women who will have not physically developed equally to that same person? There will be a margin in any case but a lot more extreme in the case of a 'biological' man prone to testosterone sensitivity and a woman who would have a much lower count?
No but I thought it interesting to point out the difficulty reaching a scientific test to prove whether an athlete is male or female.

A biological male that identifies as a woman, should one would think be possible to be classified correctly for sport. I dont think the sensibilities surrounding transgender in society should be set above correct biological identification to stop unfair advantage in competitive sport

not sure about golf
There are large differences performance wise. When Michelle Wie burst onto the scene as a big hitting teen, sponsors were keen to pit her against the men in a PGA tour event. I'm not sure she ever made the cut in any of the men's events she took part in and quickly settled back to the shorter easier ladies tour. Annika Sorenstam tried and failed too I believe.

There is a large gulf between the two sexes in golf, as there is in a lot of physical sports. Testosterone makes all the difference. Women are from Venus and men are from Mars. Ho hum.

Sponsored Links
Back