Metal-cased 13A plugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am spending a load of money on some swish new stainless steel accessories to replace some existing ones. But I just realised that the plugs I will be plugging in to those nice stainless steel sockets are going to be plain old white or black plastic.

I have googled for stainless steel mains plugs, but the nearest I have found is a modified MK tough plug that has a silver-painted underside:

img011.gif

I also found transparent plugs

seethroughplugnews.jpg

Does anyone know if metal-cased plugs exist, or are metal-cased plugs not allowed by BS1363?

Sponsored Links
only ones i know of are for commercial or outdoor use, guess what colour the outdooor ones are....................black

Never seen metal 13A plugs, the only metal plugs I have seen are "Lewden" plugs for Lewden Sockets, and these are not the standard shape of plugs, although the pin layout is the same, you would not want these in your home.

I would imagine that it would not be possible to sell metal plugs for domestic use in the UK.

Silver Coloured Plugs.

I've seen silver colour plastic plug tops - there was one on my kettle, until I broke it by mistake....

Sponsored Links
probably prohibitivly expensive and possibly ilegal and dangerous you can have plastic coated with a metal finnish but unless uou can earth the cover its a non starter also you also you could only do the cover unless its non conducting finnish :rolleyes:

http://www.lap-tab.co.uk/plasticfinishing.php

FWL_Engineer said:
Never seen metal 13A plugs, the only metal plugs I have seen are "Lewden" plugs for Lewden Sockets, and these are not the standard shape of plugs, although the pin layout is the same, you would not want these in your home.
mind you i've heared of cable tray being used as a feature by some home designers so i guess anythings possible ;)

Plug..you ever seen a Lewden Socket...not the prettiest electrical fitting I can assure you..but then interior designers are not noted for taste!! :LOL:

yeah i've seen one in real life once (with the screw on cover missing ;) ) and i had a look on TLC just now (thats how i figured out what you were talking about).

LDPD1322SLASHS.JPG

LDPD1322SLASHP.JPG

I think given a coat of gold paint or so they'd actually look quite nice (and certainly nicer than CEE industrial connectors) but maybe thats just me ;)

GOLD paint? maybe in a 1800's decor house, yes, but an industrial loft appartment? i'd rather keep them black to be honest. in fact, i'd rather have normal plugs/sockets.

But I just realised that the plugs I will be plugging in to those nice stainless steel sockets are going to be plain old white or black plastic

why not put fixed appliances on FCUs and just dont plug other things in unless you are using them.

for example, the TV setup, put a 4-way extension lead on an FCU and hide the white/black plugs in the cupboard. not exactly ideal, but if you're that fussy . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back