metal garage door flaking paint - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There. My new house has a metal garage door which has started to flake away in patches. You can scrape patches of it off - right down to the bare metal with a an ordinary hand scraper, but most of the paint is intact. I was planning just to rub it down then paint over the existing paint with a metal primer and then gloss, but am a bit concerned that after i have painted it it will continue to flake away as the existing paint is not sticking to the door (maybe because the wrong primer was used). Any suggestions ? Should i remove all the paint first before painting the door ?

Margate

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Its unlikely that you will be able to get all the paint off. It sounds like a galvanised door which has been painted without any primer.
Galvanising requires a " T Wash" on it, Mordant Solution is another name for it, which turns it black then it can be undercoated and glossed in the normal way. You can also use a Calcium Plumbate primer to spot prime the areas you have scraped off.

If the flaking is excessive, strip all the paint off if you can.

Paint that seems it will stay on CAN sometimes flake later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back