Metal pattress in drylined wall?

steel lockrings sometimes bind on to the brass swa glands and likely you wont loosen it without gripping the gland body which is unfortunately behind the box.

It looks like it was glanded off to the box and pushed in, before the cable was clipped and buried.

you may need to dig up the cable near the wall to gain enough slack to draw the box forward out the wall, not only to grip the gland to loosen the lockring but also to retighten to your new box to ensure adequate earthing to the swa cable

Sponsored Links
On the metal box, fit a double pole 32amp switch, so you can easily isolate the garage electrics in case of a fault with it.
That would be my suggestion as well - leave the back box, SWA and gland alone and fit a DP switch. If you want sockets there then add a double next to the switch - but the OP has said he doesn't need them so that's moot.

But, what size is the SWA ? This appears to be an unfused spur off the RFC, assuming the cable is of sufficient rating, then it's still not compliant AIUI. Though I'd suggest it's better than a lot of garage supplies !

Yes it's an excellent idea.

The OP does want sockets there though.

Not 1, Not 3 but exactly 2. :LOL:

But if its hard work happy to stick with 1

Could of course have two single sockets, but somehow it's not pleasing to the eye.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the lack of update - have been crazy busy trying to get the house ready before child no 2 arrives! (10 days overdue!)

Yes it's an excellent idea.

The OP does want sockets there though.

Not 1, Not 3 but exactly 2. :LOL:

But if its hard work happy to stick with 1

:LOL:
It sounds ridiculous when you put it like that! Basically I didn't need 2 sockets there, but thought I'd convert as it may prove useful. If it's too much hassle tho, then I'm happy to stick with just the one!

And, that's exactly what I've done - just changed the single socket over to a nicer one to match everything, having hooked it all back up as I found it, ensuring it was all earthed.
Don't like admitting defeat, but sometimes you have to. I just couldn't even budge the lockring.

I do like the DP switch suggestion though, and may revisit one day.

Thanks all for all your help. Love this forum! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back