metal support brackets, galavanised or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have built a veranda/roof overhang and I am supporting this with 4 6 inch square solid oak posts. I wanted these posts supported on brackets that keep the posts off the ground by an inch or two (often seen in Europe -seen it a lot in France)

I have a builder friend who knows a welder so we arranged that the welder make these brackets for me.

Its not that important to my question but to describe them; imagine a 4 inch square plate on the floor with a 10 inch long solid stud welded upright on top and then an upside down "T" on top of that which I will slot into the bottoms of the posts and then cement the 4" plate in concrete in the ground.

Now to my question, the message I got from the builder was that the welder galavanised the brackets like I said I would like if it were possible but the thing is they are a very light grey colour and I thought if they were galvanised they would look like galvanised screws ie like a sort of chrome or stainless steel look.

The look is not that important as they will hardly be seen once in place, but I am keen to know what their finish is to know their rust proofing ability.

They are light grey and of a rough but uniform texture, ie they do have some sort of coating.

So can anyone help me here from what I say, ie

Does this sound like they are galavanised?

Is this type of galavanised, if it is galvanised, better or worse as a rust protection compared to galvanised screws for example?

Should I coat them with anything else for better protection ie hammerite?

Is it ok to paint them with a Hammerite type coating if I want to anyway?

My builder friend says they are galvanised but probably only because the welder says so, I don't think he really knows himself for sure one way or the other.

Any advice or info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they are Galvanised to me.

You don't need any further protection on a good Galvanised job. There are special primers for Galvanised steel, because ordinary metal primers just flake off! Don't chip off any of the Galvanising as most problems with Galvanised steel start if the the galvanising is later damaged in any way.

Even Hammerite uses a primer for some special metal finishes and would guess this would be one- need to check.

As for the post - I am aware oak and steel are not good together. It would be a good idea to find out if its OK after the steel is Galvanised as I am not aware of other metals Oak has issues with.

The screws are often plated and not good plating either - these could be a bigger problem! - again I would need to research before using anything other than a brass screw in oak.

Edit
The big nail on the right is the sort of finish a hot dip Galvanised will give you. Frequently a matt grey with lumps in it! (Open link for picture)
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/205291004/Hot_Dipped_Galvanized_Nail.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back