Metal Tile edging finish appearance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just returned off holiday to our new bathroom which was fitted while we awere away ( big mistake dont ever do it ) .

There are quite a few mistakes which if we had been here,wouldnt have happened im afraid.

But a quick question about tile edging on an EXTERNAL corner .Is the edging supposed to stick out from the tile on the 45 degree corner cuts?.Or should it fit flush with the tile ?.I would say the corner sticks out by 1/4 of an inch over the tile.

This to me seems wrong as seeing as there metal strips especially.My 10 year old could slash her wrists on these ,there so sharp.
If it is wrong can it easily be rectified without breaking the already laid tiles on the wall.
or have we employed a total cowboy !!.

Sponsored Links
Why is someone a total cowboy for carrying out your instructions?

If you didn't do your research who's to blame?

Why is someone a total cowboy for carrying out your instructions?

If you didn't do your research who's to blame?

I dont get what you mean by this im afraid :rolleyes: ???.

What im getting at is the tile edging supposed to stick out on an external corner ?.Is this how you tile an external corner ?.

I havent even explained any other problems ?.

Also while grouting he seems to have left quite alot of grout thats gone hard in the decorative trim around the top.Is there any easy way of getting this out ??.

Cheers

Any chance of some pics,,,, we can have a look then, and give better opinions.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Most edging strips would/should finish flush to the mitred corner. Looking at your pic closely, i think the shape of the tile on the top corner,, (rounded not square),, might be part of the problem. Quite often, another length of edge bead is fitted down the vertical corner too. The excessive grout you mentioned around the tile trim could also be due to the shape of the tiles where it meets the trim,, maybe,, see what the others guys think.

Roughcaster.

I have rung topps tiles who say this is normal,but i get the feeling it isnt.

Well you are wrong. The tile trim sticks out further than the tiles so will stick out at the corners. Try filing it back and see what happens (disaster).

That will be because the edge trim is quadrant shaped, when met at 90 degrees by another tile trim there will always be a bit stuck out as the trim at the top is cut at 45 degrees and butted up leaving a sharp corner. Most manafacturers make a corner piece which as a rounded profile to match the trim. Depending on finish, filing may soften the corner BUT as you said it sticks out approx 6mm you run the high risk of breaking through the back of it and leaving a hole behind. Have a look at the manafacturer of tile trim he used if known and see if a pre made corner is available . and then it could be carefully inserted using a dremel or such tool and grouted to blend it in.

Nick

Hi
Just returned off holiday to our new bathroom which was fitted while we awere away ( big mistake dont ever do it ) .

There are quite a few mistakes which if we had been here,wouldnt have happened im afraid.

But a quick question about tile edging on an EXTERNAL corner .Is the edging supposed to stick out from the tile on the 45 degree corner cuts?.Or should it fit flush with the tile ?.I would say the corner sticks out by 1/4 of an inch over the tile.

This to me seems wrong as seeing as there metal strips especially.My 10 year old could slash her wrists on these ,there so sharp.
If it is wrong can it easily be rectified without breaking the already laid tiles on the wall.

its not hard to get them flush against the edges that you need it too, first port of call ring the guy and ask him to come sort it out, if its dangerous insist on it being done asap.

if he ignores or doesnt turn up send hime recorded delivery telling him you will call out competent tiler to sort it at his cost and will take him small claims court.

sorry about joe90 he works at bee and queue so is always angry.

can you get a pic that's in focus? try the marco function on your camera, looks like a tulip / flower...

looks from the blurred pic that you have bullnose tiles on the corner and a 2 way bullnose at the top?

Hi

its not hard to get them flush against the edges that you need it too, first port of call ring the guy and ask him to come sort it out, if its dangerous insist on it being done asap.

if he ignores or doesnt turn up send hime recorded delivery telling him you will call out competent tiler to sort it at his cost and will take him small claims court.

sorry about joe90 he works at bee and queue so is always angry.

Stop being silly you daft dinosaur. Trim will always stick out a bit.

If you can work out what that photo shows then you are a better man than I.

I assumed that the trim was the end external edge of some part tiled wall where sharp edges are pretty difficult (nigh impossible) to eradicate. The advice to threaten the guy that fixed it is just plain silly as he will simply say the wall was out of true and that the fault isn't his.

No-one can decide anything until there is an accurate photo showing the work.

can you get a pic that's in focus? try the marco function on your camera, looks like a tulip / flower...

looks from the blurred pic that you have bullnose tiles on the corner and a 2 way bullnose at the top?

Hope these will let you be able to judge better.

The trim is metal and its rounded.

Trust me im hoping this is normal,but i just thought it was shoddy workmanship as its razor sharp.Myself i thought u packed the tile out more so the point was at the end of the tile in the actual window frame.But again im no tiler so what do i know.

I know you can call me,but i do a few favours for this guy i know him well and he is supposed to be a tiler but does a bit of everything.Its hard to get stroppy with someone who you know personally.There are a few more issues but it would take to long to explain.

We have had a bathroom ( 1.8m x 2.4 ) fitted ,halfway tiled and fully tiled on shower bit also floor tiles.Also new spa bath,sink,towel rad,shower unit ,under floor heating.Also hot water tank being moved of landing into loft area.All this for £1300 which is good and reflects favours i have done him.But just wanted to know if his work is welllllllllllllll lets say not great ???.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back