meter change safety checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electricity company (EDF) are coming to exchange my meter as it has come to the end of it's certificated lifespan. The letter they sent to advise me of this said that safety checks would also be carried out. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what tests these will be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Polarity at the head / meter.

Polarity at a socket.

That'll be it I'd expect.

He will basically test any socket for correct polarity. If its wrong he would test another. If all sockets are wrong polarity he will also test at the cut-out (black lump on wall).
If polarity is correct at cut-out/ meter, he won't do the change because your equipment is in a dangerous state.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies and info.

I have no worries about my installation, definitely no funny plants or heatlamps! :LOL:

Just wondering if they would check things like insulation resistance or check the CU.

Guess if they aren't sparks, there's no point in getting the tea and biscuits out and asking them to give it the once over!

They wont care about the insulation resistance of faults on your side of the meter unless it dings their service fuse.

They get paid per job completed so they only stop to rub their gums with speed before they are on to the next one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back