Meter Readings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a recent home owner and would like some advice on the following:

I have received my gas and electric bill they have priced them up on an estimate. The estimate is actually below what the meter reading actually is. So - should i ring up and tell them or keep schtum?

If i kept quiet then would it not eventually just catch up when they come round to read? I use Southern Electric. I assume they will come round to read one day!?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
At some point they will do a reading and will adjust your bill accordingly, its up to you whether you tell them now or not, you'll end up paying whatever so you decide. You won't be able to get one over on 'em, you'll just end up with a big bill at some point. If you pay by DD generally they let you spread the excess over a year anyway.

ring them with the correct readings
if you leave it then you run the risk of paying too much for the fuel already used, if the price goes up.

Sponsored Links
If you start your billing in a lower usage time of the year, then your DD payments will be set at a realistic level. But if you report your true readings during the winter they will up your DD and although you will recoup at the end of the year, you will be paying 'up front'...

We tend to even out :)wink: ) our readings a bit throughout the year (obviously weighting more usage to winter months), and have found less problems with the levels of DD demanded...

Of course you end up paying the same when the meter is finally read, but I guess it's just how you want to do it..

Get yourself one of these:

DSC01101.jpg

GSM meter. Transmits every 15 minutes.

of course - why not go for 'smart metering'..?

you'll soon learn not to have a shower, boil a kettle, cook a meal etc during 'peak' times...

of course, you'll probably only find out about a smart meter's capability to reduce or cut off your power supply just when you need it most... ;)

Hi

Is this your first bill?

Did you give them an initial reading when you moved in?

If not you'll be paying for what the previous owner used.

Regards

G

Sponsored Links
Back