Meter tail length?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am thinking of having the meter moved from the hallway to another suitable location. If i have the meter in an outside enclosure how far from it can i have the CU? would like it to be in the utility room, about 8-10m of cable would be required. Is there a maximum distance?

Also, if i put another CU in the shed do i have to put it through a breaker in the main CU? How would i split this of if not?

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
Someone who knows what they are talking about will probably be along here soon, but the network operators vary in what they will accept, so it's best to speak to them.

Usually, the maximum tail length is about 3 metres, unless you fit a switch-fuse close to the meter to protect/isolate the tails.

It is usual practise to feed a shed CU off an MCB in the main board, but outside the house is a 'special location' according to the regulations, so there are other factors to consider in the design, inspection and testing.

Hi,
Firstly (and i'm sure you already know this) only the Local Network provider/Supplier can move the meter.
As for the distance between meter and CU, i'm not sure there are any limits; as long as the calcs are done properly to ensure the correct size cable is chosen for volt drop/local conditions etc. Many multiple occupancy buildings (flats) have the meters in the landlords cupboard on the ground floor for instance, but the CU is obviously in the property.

As for an additioanl CU in the shed, for starters it would need RCD protection, but also now falls under the new Part P building regs and hance needs to be installed by an approved contractor. Effectively it requires building regs approval which the right contractors have permission to notify on.

Scott

(If it doesn't need fixing don't break it :rolleyes: )

Sponsored Links
It is normally the network operator which puts a distance on what their cutout fuse is allowed to protect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back