Length of Meter Tails....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per subject heading, what is the regulation requirement regarding the distance of the CU from the meter on a new build ?

How long can the tails be.

Cheers Mick.

Sponsored Links
3.0m max- but then you 'cheat' and place a 100a isolator near the meter, it acts as a supply break and you can then have longer tails.

I think long distances between cu and head suggest poor design if you're having issues with a new build. I'd have expected a service area for all electricals.

Would you like to eloborate as to what situation and distance your thinking about ?

Would an armour feed be more prudent ?

Depends.

The DNOs tend to impose a limit of 3 meters.

Personally anything over 2 meters and I'd be looking to install a switchfuse at the meter.

EDITED
3.0m max Would you like to eloborate as to what situation and distance your thinking about ?

?

Hi Chri5

Power comes in to a meter box the far side of an adjoining double garage, just doing a bit of forward thinking as to possibly siting the CU nearer to the house wall rather than have a bundle of cables across the garage.

Cheers Mick

Sponsored Links
It's a DNO requirement and not BS7671.

Different DNO's may impose different limits. It's best to call yours if you want to be sure.

The DNOs tend to impose a limit of 3 meters.
3 meters, yeah, where theres a 3 phase supply. ;)

a METER is an instrument for measuring a quantity.
a METRE is a unit of measurement equal to one hundred centimetres.

:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back