Micra K12 engine oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use and like Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL. But, castrol does not recommend this oil for a micra k12. The following is the nissan oil spec for the car. Anyone knows why I shouldn't use the LL oil? Castrol recommends edge 5w40 instead. I want to harmonise the oil for the couple of cars I am playing with.

micra-oil.png

Sponsored Links
THese curious oil specifications are developed for manufacturer requirements.....BMW and Mercedes, VW etc, and we can expect more in the future.
Essentially they are developed for long drain intervals.
Use it in the Micra with confidence, change yearly or at 10k mile intervals ( with the filter) and it’ll see us out!
Whatever I use, I look for a C3 rating.
John :)

It’s a high specification oil for general ( but not super performance) use, and is just fine for 99% of vehicles on Britain’s roads. Included are it’s low ash tendency and suitability for catalytic converters and DPF’s.
There are C4 and C5 lubes about but unless you have a BMW M5 for desert use and long drain intervals (for example) these are no use to you.

Sponsored Links
I can't see the point in paying extra for a long interval oil, if you're going to change it every 10k.

I use and like Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL. But, castrol does not recommend this oil for a micra k12. The following is the nissan oil spec for the car. Anyone knows why I shouldn't use the LL oil? Castrol recommends edge 5w40 instead. I want to harmonise the oil for the couple of cars I am playing with.

View attachment 265246
the Nissan spec looks like it is written for the US market

The SG/SH/SJ specs are old versions for petrol engines, without friction reducers.

They were (are?) necessary for bikes with wet (oil bath) clutches, engine oil shared with gearbox

I wonder why Nissan specs them?

Is it a very old handbook for an old model?

I can't see the point in paying extra for a long interval oil, if you're going to change it every 10k.

Same price. My interval is 10 years.

Is it a very old handbook for an old model?

It's a factory service manual I found on the internet. It's definitely for k12. The car is 2004, quite old, but lightly driven. Regardless, this engine seems able to take a wide range of oil. What is the effective difference between 5w40 and 5w30?

the '40 is a bit thicker when warm

the handbook will probably show you the grades recommended for different operating temperatures, and the two oils you mention will probably overlap and both be suitable in temperate European climates.

As you move to unusually cold (or hot) conditions you may be operating in temperatures where one is more suitable than the other.

A thinner, low-friction additive oil will save a bit of fuel in a modern engine in good condition.

I don't think it's advisable to leave any oil in the engine for 10 years. They degrade with age and exposure to air.

IIRC SJ oil was discontinued for ordinary car use at least 10 years ago. Possibly longer. At the time I had to lay in a stock of 10W/40 SJ mineral oil for my bike, although I had a car that used a better 10W/40 synthetic. In most other cases the latest oil is compatible with engines designed for the older equivalent, but wet clutches were a special case.

Very annoyingly, "special" synthetic oils are supposed to meet different specifications for different brands of car, so the Ford 0W/30 will have a different spec no from the Merc 0W/30. The public doesn't know if it matters.

Last edited:
No. One of my cars says something like "every 20k miles or 2 years whichever comes first" and the others something like "every 12k miles or 12 months whichever comes first"

Neither of them ever gets black and smelly.

Synthetics are supposed to be able to go longer between changes.

These extended oil change intervals are largely governed by the manufacturers wanting to get fleet sales.....less servicing means greater profit at the end of the day. The big rental companies can dispose of their vehicles before the first service is due.
This isn't to say that oils haven't improved, of course they have as have manufacturing tolerances. Naturally enough, the manufacturers couldn't care less that your engine is knackered once it's out of warranty - it isn't their problem anymore.
Renault were one of the first to recommend huge oil change engines with their splendid 1.5dci.....it would go to 21k before needing an oil drop :eek: which was unheard of at the time. Taking this engine up to 23k proved to be fatal for the engine - so Renault reviewed the situation and brought it back down to 12k.
Returning to the original post, the K12 Micra has a timing chain that needs TLC - and that means new oil yearly. I have replaced the chain with the engine in situ but it's much easier to remove the lump to do this.

Sponsored Links
Back