Microbore radiator change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to replace the radiator in my bathroom with a towel rail, but I have a microbore pipe system. The radiator just now doesn't work well anyway as it's a new style radiator but with a one end microbore valve so the cold flushes the hot water basically straight away as you'll see in my photo.

The other issue i have is that i have a slate floor which so i don't really wanna have to try and lift the tile that is at the radiator if i can help it.

Could i take off the valve or just cut the pipe and then run a new pipe along to the left hand side of the rad and then put on a new valve on the right side where the pipes come up through the floor?

Or would you recommend cutting the pipe under the floor and lifting the one tile and putting in new 15mm pipe?

Any advice would be great, thanks

Sponsored Links
twin entry valve

you could just drain and cut the pipes as you say and fit two valves

that baby won't work with a towel rail

fwiw it probably don't work to well cos the spreader pipe is missing from the inside of the rad ;) View media item 17099

twin entry valve

you could just drain and cut the pipes as you say

that baby won't work with a towel rail

fwiw it probably don't work to well cos the spreader pipe is missing from the inside of the rad ;) View media item 17099

Yea you're right there is no pipe so the water mixes straight away.

if i don't put in a towel rail i at least want this radiator to work properly, would you just run some microbore pipe along to the left and put a new valve and then just get a new valve for right hand side or would you cut and put in 15mm pipes??

just get a lengh of 8mm and screw it into the valve as in pic

if you want to get rid of the valve just extend the pipe to the other end

above or below floor is your choice

if your going for a towel rail 8 will be ok

well as long as its not a 2 m rail :LOL: :LOL: ;)

btw if you keep the valve the screw under the brass cap is a valve to close the return off

no need to drain system

Sponsored Links
just get a lengh of 8mm and screw it into the valve as in pic

if your going for a towel rail 8 will be ok

well as long as its not a 2 m rail :LOL: :LOL: ;)

I can't just put in a pipe as the radiator is a new style one so the pipe cannot go along the bottom of the radiator like on my other radiators

So if i cut the cold pipe and feed a new pipe over to the left hand side and put on a new valve in that side and close off the cold on the existing valve that'll work??

For putting in the new valves do i need to drain my system, when i cut the cold pipe surely water will pish everywhere?

personally i would renew the lot ie both

if your gonna drain the system you might as well do the job right

then you can have your towel rail and keep err indoors appy as well ;)

personally i would renew the lot ie both

if your gonna drain the system you might as well do the job right

then you can have your towel rail and keep err indoors appy as well ;)

Ok so if i do renew the pipes to 15mm under the floor, do i just cut the pipe under the floor or do i have to remove all the 8mm pipe back to where the main pipes are 22mm??

if your gonna renew pipework you might as well take it back to the 22

for a towel rail i wouldn't bother
but hey its your gaff
your choice fella ;)

if your gonna renew pipework you might as well take it back to the 22

for a towel rail i wouldn't bother
but hey its your gaff
your choice fella ;)

ok sweet, i'll just cut the pipes under the floor and then feed up new pipes to either side and put on valves.

One last question, what do i use to connect the 8mm to new 15mm pipes so i don't have to solder?? Or do i have to solder?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back