micron 50ff fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
micron 50ff

anyone tell me how to get the old fan out? Ive loosened the jubilee clip, not sure how to get the base plate out assuming the fan is screwed into this, or is it connected via some other means?

Sponsored Links
If you are a registered gas engineer you should know how to do this simple task.If you are not then you should not be working on this boiler as you have removed the combustion cover.If you are RGI then apologies and the method is in the MI's.

really advise you get a RGI in to do it

doubt anyone will advise youi here

sorry

Sponsored Links
thats great, its very easy not to get a good seal when fitting the new one on these boilers thus causing POC to recirculate. Obviously you've checked for this though..................

yep, just as i checked online for a fan price, £90, as opposed to the £145 + vat quoted by a gas engineer. £55 profit even before labour, nice work you guys are on, but hey thanks for the advice.

yep, just as i checked online for a fan price, £90, as opposed to the £145 + vat quoted by a gas engineer. £55 profit even before labour, nice work you guys are on, but hey thanks for the advice.

Richest man in the graveyard :D

Why does everyone resent Gas Engineers making a living,the quote to replace the fan was not unreasonable and won't be making the engineer involved a killing the public have absolutely no idea of the cost of running a proffessional registered business, :rolleyes:

What a narrow minded pathetic statement to make. I guess youve thrown your dummy out of the pram as when you couldnt figure out how to do the simplest of repair to your boiler, you were 'peeved' nobody on here would help. :rolleyes:

Well done for managing it all on your little lonesome. :rolleyes:

If we were changing Micron Fans all day, being an RGI would be the Carlsberg of jobs - if a little boring.

LOL oh you gas engineers are so easily riled. Firstly yes i did manage your so called simple task even though ive never looked at a boiler in my life, i only posted on here BEFORE actually fully trying the task. And if youre so glib about me managing on my lonesome why is it all the engineers on here are telling me to get someone qualified...oh yes because you gas safe or corgis fellas like to throw around your certificates don't you, telling anyone unqualified that they SIMPLY can't do the job...hehehe.
Secondly it ended up being very simple, in fact as a microsoft certified hardware engineer i can safely say that this job was far more simple than any laptop ressemble i've ever done. But lets face it, not only do you guys want to throw in a mark up of 37% on a part thats clearly available to anyone on the net you'd probably take 4 hours to do it. Lets see, if i hadn't done it myself (in 30 mins by the way) and called a plumber round here's what i'd get.

9am plumber arrives.
1.30pm tells me he's changed the fan but it was a bitch to do so he's now gone into his 5th hour, at £35 an hour. What he's actually done is spend 4 hours thinking of some extra part that he specially has to order (this doesn't exist by the way, he's made it up.) He then goes away comes back with a twix and a cup of tea , pretends to fit the part and then charges a further £200 on top of the £145 and the 375 labour...nice job fella.

oh and as your so smart herebriefly, lets swap jobs, i'll change a micron fan (piece of **** by the way), you change a laptop hard drive....to which the reply from you would obviously be "duh whats a hard drive? i have to make it gas safe you know"

yeah, only one person here thrown his dolly out LOL, did you wet your pants in anger giving your reply herebriefly, cos thats how it seems?

This is the problem. You assume that every gas engineer is out there to rip people off. Just because the first one you come across fitted your sterotype of one you decided that you'd do it yourself, rather than doing what any normal person would do and find another one. As for parts cost, then yes the parts are available online usually cheaper than what we can get them from a local supplier. I usually advise my customers this but also explain that, a) my supplier has them in stock and I can get it today, b) if it ain't no good i take it back at MY cost, c) it will be genuine with a proper guarantee. If they want to get the part themselves and phone me when it turns up thats fine but any problems are at their cost.
Funny how everyone who comes on here saying how great they are for breaking the law tells its ok cos they're a engineer of such and such. Oh, changing hardware components in pcs(wow, what a complex job!), that definately qualifies you :rolleyes:
As I said before but you ignored, its very easy to get a bad seal on these boilers when changing the fan, if thats the case your boiler could be producing high levels of CO. You cannot check for this as you don't have the knowledge or equipment.
But hey, you saved some money so thats ok................... :rolleyes:

think you need to reread the first 9 words of my last post mikey. Think i need more rods, getting more bites than Roland Martin

(oh by the way ANY normal person would have found someone else? ....yeah if theyve got 2 week to wait) Funny how i seem to hit a real nerve with some of you, bit near to the truth am i?

Dont let me down guys, we are laughing our socks of here at your responses.

Firstly yes i did manage your so called simple task even though ive never looked at a boiler in my life, i only posted on here BEFORE actually fully trying the task.

Absolute tosh - in your 1st post, you had managed to loosen the jubilee clip and then got stuck. Changing a Micron Fan is easier than changing a babies nappy (as long as you have the testing equipment to ensure intergrity of fan / flue etc). I would hole-heartidly agree that tinkering around with a lap-top is a far more demanding task. What I mean is.... how many dangerously reassembled lap-tops have killed people in the past?

£35 an hour. :eek: You wanna add some to that if you get me in, but id only charge for the time taken to replace the fan, and not mess about drinking tea & eating chocolate bars. :D I'm too busy for all that messing about.

But, to re-iterate on my previous post - well done you!

David.

think you need to reread the first 9 words of my last post mikey. Think i need more rods, getting more bites than Roland Martin

(oh by the way ANY normal person would have found someone else? ....yeah if theyve got 2 week to wait) Funny how i seem to hit a real nerve with some of you, bit near to the truth am i?

Dont let me down guys, we are laughing our socks of here at your responses.

Actually I was trying to make you realise that your boiler might now be unsafe. But as long as there's no one else in the house I don't care anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back