Miele W1 (WMG120 GB) waterproof / leak issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 6 year old Miele W1 washing machine (WMG120 GB) which has started to report the "Waterproof" error. I am able to temporarily resolve the issue by dragging the machine out and tilting it backwards to allow the water to escape the catch tray (makes the floor wet but the machine then works again). This seems to last for a few weeks before the error is displayed again.
I've had the top off and ran a cycle to check for leaks. I spotted a leak in the water inlet as shown in the red outlines in the image below. This corresponds to water marks on the drum which suggests that this is the cause of the tray filling up and therefore my issue.

upload_2021-8-8_10-51-8.png

I'm guessing that the water inlet part (?) I've identified as the green "1" in the image is at fault.

Can anyone confirm if this is likely and if so how I can get a replacement part (if needed) and how to switch it out?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
As the cycle moved on I also noticed an additional leak as shown in this second image in the red outlines:

upload_2021-8-8_11-10-3.png

Rather than coming from the black tube it seems to have come from a clip behind the tube on the main white part indicated by the red arrow.
Could it be that the entire unit (marked as a green 2) is clogged with limescale (or similar) and is forcing water out? Perhaps they just perish with age? How can I tell for sure and are they simple to replace?

Mike

Hello

I also seem to be having the same problem with the leak being from the second image you posted from the exact same area. Please can you tell me how you fixed it much appreciated

Where on the machine is the water catch tray. I have a PW6065 and had the front of to see the internal parts and the bottom but couldnt see any leaks on ours nor a float or tray. However we got the waterproof alarm.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that the water inlet part (?) I've identified as the green "1" in the image is at fault.

Can anyone confirm if this is likely and if so how I can get a replacement part (if needed) and how to switch it out?

I would suggest that the issue might be that of water being allowed in too quickly, so quickly that the water cannot flow into the rest of the machine fast enough - so it slightly overflows. As a quick easy test to confirm that, turn down the isolator valve, where the flexible pipe of the machine connects to the copper pipework.

A longer term fix is to install a reducer to limit the flow, at the valve - like a large washer, with a small hole in it, between valve and flexible pipe. They are sometimes supplied with new machines, for the purpose.

Hi
Apologies for a very late reply but I have exactly the same issue with the same machine and wondered if you managed to resolve it?
Thanks

Hi
Apologies for a very late reply but I have exactly the same issue with the same machine and wondered if you managed to resolve it?
Thanks

I would guess so, it is a common problem for washing machines, the water pressure/flow bing too high. Temporary fix - turn the valve it connect to, down a bit. More permanent fix - a nylon restriction washer, which just fits in line with the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back