Miele W828 inlet problem

R

RichardMNZ

Hi,

I have been flummoxed by a problem with my W828 Miele washing machine.
It worked flawlessly* until 2 days ago.

(It originally was a dead machine until I replaced the blown fuse on the EL-200 PCB, and its only fault since then has been that the anti-crease/finish light never ever worked)

When you push the Start button, there is a long pause and then it decides to fill with water. The water streams in at high pressure.
As it fills, the inlet light comes on (The red one).

More "interestingly", it decides to admit water through the pre-wash chamber and not through the main wash chamber.
I thought it was a fault with the inlet valve and daringly decided to swap the main chamber valve for the pre-wash valve. The machine still admits water through the pre-wash chamber.

I am guessing that it is the PCB? I am assuming that it instructs the pre-wash valve to open as opposed to the valve(s) being faulty.
I was guessing the pressure switch on the PCB and tried without the hose (It filled itself to the window before I pulled the plug) and with the hose (it fills to below the window and starts washing). Does this mean the pressure switch is working?

Am I wrong to assume the PCB is bad/funny and is there a reset/test/diagnostic to get more info from the machine.

Sponsored Links
OK, so after some internet research I have discovered how to access some service menu functions.

When in the service mode, I can test the valves and they appear to work.
I am typing this from work and discovered this late last night.
Will go home and try some more and post some pictures too.

Are you sure someone has not simply swapped the wires over between the 2 valves?

The wires are good. From the service menu when you turn the dial to activate the pre-wash, the pre wash jets work. Similarly if you turn the dial to Cottons 75 (from the service menu) the main compartment jets come on.
When you exit this menu and start an ordinary wash, the water it admits is at a lower pressure (like it half opens the valves if it was possible to do such a thing) and then the red inlet light illuminates.
I did notice today after fiddling in the service menu the long delay that was there yesterday has vanished.
I found only part instructions on the Internet on how to access the service menu. In German. Thank goodness for Google Translate

I would be interested to see what other goodies lurk in the service menu, however I can only find page 1 of the instructions....
I'm hoping to find a reset option

Sponsored Links
You could try disconnecting the wires to the prewash valve and see if it still fills from the prewash compartment. I'm thinking there may be a blockage somewhere and the water is taking a circuitous path which ends up in the prewash section of drawer.

She is a temperamental beast. Tonight I put on a load. There was a delay with nothing and then on came the water. The correct jets were working but still the check-inlet light came on.
The water into the detergent drawer was not strong. This is completely different to when you put it into service mode and turn the dial to "cottons 75". The water comes out of the main wash jets at full bore.
I will time the delay tomorrow when I do more laundry.

Well yesterday after more fiddling in service mode (and with the multitude of options...) I did a wash and it worked fine.

There was no delay and the water flowed into the correct compartments.
I tried changing the setting to "Use the Water control system" and there was this click and hum. I thought this was not a good move and was glad the tap was turned off.
I reverted to "use solenoid valves" and the hum stopped.

I tested with a wash and it worked without lighting the check inlet light.
Fingers crossed that it decides to stay unlit.

I have been working with a service manual I found on the internet for the W460s etc series.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a W800-W900 series service manual to double check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back