Miele W828

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all previous contributors, congratulations and thank you. Although my machine is not back on duty, I (with help of mate who's pretty handy with a soldering iron) have identified previously mentioned faulty fuse and relay.
Once I've ordered, received and installed the new components, I'll be back to the Miele authorised repairman to reinstall pcb and see what happens. (I should acknowledge that this bloke has been most helpful in making this a collaborative effort. However, I can't believe his & the local Miele technician's lack of cognisance of the issue.)
I'm feeling pretty confident the Mrs' current frustration with a lesser branded substitute top loader will soon be over.
If its of any interest, the relay had 'welded' on the other side when compared to the two posted earlier. At the risk of stating the obvious &/or matters previously mentioned, has the 'welding' occurred from a massive vibration (ie Mrs attempting to wash her entire linen press in one go)? My electronics guru thinks that the fuse went after the relay went.
And also for what its worth, the machine was a month short of its 10th anniversary and had endured a touch over 7,700 hours (according to the repairman's diagnostics software).
I'll post an update in due course.
Once again, thanks to everyone & if you're ever passing through stop by for celebratory Coonawarra red!
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The Mrs' dearly loved washing machine is back on duty (& hasn't missed a beat - touch wood!). The only parts replaced were the previously mentioned pcb components- total cost, less than AUD10 + plus bottle of red for my soldering man.
Once again, thanks so much to all previous contributors.

Hi all,

I too had the dreaded flashing rinse light. Replaced the 6.3A radial fuse and the RT424012 relay.

Machine came back to life, however, I still noted the odd mechanical bang from time to time as the machine prepared to spin up but chose to ignore this at my peril.

Then, two months later, the dreaded flashing rinse light once again.

After I unplugged the machine, I tested the fuse ... funny thing was, this time, it was still intact. However, when I cut the top off of the relay it was toast, one pair of contacts badly melted.

Obviously the relay would need to be replaced again but I also decided to replace the fuse because it would have no doubt have been badly stressed.

Obviously the fuse and relay were a symptom and not the cause of the underlying problem. So I looked for further clues as to what could have damaged the electronics.

I noted some small black dents concentrated in a small area on the metal casing at the back of the machine, just behind the motor. That was my eureka moment ...

What had been happening was that the motor drive shaft (which drives the belt), had been hitting the back of the machine when a spin cycle was initiated with an unbalanced wash load. Given sufficient force, the impact laboured the motor, drawing a large enough current to fry the relay and fuse. Obvious really!

Got my friendly washing machine man to supply and fit the shocks, whilst I set about repairing the PCB again. I'm crap with mechanical stuff.

This time, I had difficulty tracking down the RT424012 relay, there seemed to be a UK wide stock shortage so I opted for an alternative RTE24012 as its electrical characteristics were identical.

I purchased the following parts from RS to repair the EL200D PCB:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/electromechanical-relays/1986905/

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-resettable-wire-ended-fuses/2845423/

Tada, machine works again perfectly. And despite the backlog of washing we have had to plough through, no more nasty banging noises.

Moral of the story.

(1) Change the shocks.
(2) Change the relay.
(3) Change the fuse.

Note: The fuse is ANTISURGE, i.e. there is a time lag before it blows, hence T6.3A (note the 'T')'.

QUICK BLOW fuses, i.e. F6.3A (Note the 'F') are NOT suitable.

Disclaimer:

Always seek the advice of a qualified engineer before attempting any of the aforementioned repairs.

Thank you all! what a great forum.
Saved my wonderful Miele Machine, W837 10 years old, when I saw the flashing rinse and read that the board probably had problems, I was initially daunted at the thought and considered that perhaps after 10 years the old girl was finished!

Read and re-read the topic and decided to take a deep breath and give it a go! Cross referenced the relay and fuse part listed and purchased here via RS in France... delivered the next day.

Took a look at brushes decided that with only 5mm wear that there was plenty left so just put them back, the brushes for this machine start at 27mm and ours were down to 22mm.

Daunted at de-soldering, never mind soldering so turned to youtube for any number of tutorials.

Tested the board parts in situ... fuse definately blown as circuit open but relay clicked with 9v battery so decided to go with fuse only to see. Very nervous but adhered to all in the turorial and refitted board to machine, tried a rinse cycle and oh no the light came on. Deep breath then to desolder the more complicated relay with 6 little posts/connectors to do, but done and fitted to machine and hey presto it worked.... thrilled!

Now going to purchase new shocks and meanwhile be very careful to keep the loads light till the shocks arrive!!

Just out of curiosity cut the top off the relay which although clicked with the 9v battery test was as previous posts where one contact had cooked and closed shut. I decided to test with a tester whilst still in place on the board and two posts (connectors) showed a closed circuit on the tester, with all the other connectors showing open. The new relay of couse showed an open circuit on all connectors when I tested so this confirmed for me that the old one was faulty even before I cut the top off.

Again thank you all so much, feeling very proud to have tackled and won, best of all saved the cost of a replacement machine. Parts cost €7 (I had to buy 10 fuses from RS as minimum quantity, but they were only .47 each :D )

As with agenda 109:

Moral of the story.

(1) Change the shocks.
(2) Change the relay.
(3) Change the fuse.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
A simple message to thank those who have spent time explaining the problems and solution for this problem.
In a few, I have a Miele washing machine W844 Novotronic of 2000.
There are 4 days, the light was blinking flushing.
After removal of the power circuit EL200D and verification. The fuse was blown and link HS. I even disassembled the relay. One of the two contacts was burned.
I ordered from RS (in France) the two parts. Delivered Today (RS very well in France)
Back tonight oh miracle machine and everything works.
Thanks to you

I have an issue with my W863, no fault lights or anything but when it spins it makes a fair old noise, a combination of whining and grating as though it is out of balance in some way. It has also occasionally started to give off a smell of burning rubber. Just debating whether or not to phone Miele and go for there remedyplus service but £250 is a fair bit to splash out. I'm reasonably handy so if anyone has any suggestions for a bit of diy investigation before I call in the professionals it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Just wanted to thank all previous contributors - saved me a fortune and left me with a great feeling of success when my 12 year old Miele W844 was back up and running. Total costs: EUR 10. Cheers!

Great thread, Great job to all contributers.
I have similar problem with a EL110-G board on a W833.

Have anyone digged onto this or stumbled across a similar thread on this pcb?

Thanks for help.

I have an issue with my W863, no fault lights or anything but when it spins it makes a fair old noise, a combination of whining and grating as though it is out of balance in some way. It has also occasionally started to give off a smell of burning rubber. Just debating whether or not to phone Miele and go for there remedyplus service but £250 is a fair bit to splash out. I'm reasonably handy so if anyone has any suggestions for a bit of diy investigation before I call in the professionals it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

It's funny - my GLW is reporting a similar thing on our W865. She's also saying that there are 'good deals' on new washing machines at the moment. However, I have found some tips on how to look at the drum so i will test these and report back later on - possibly with more photos. I'll also post the repair on my blog too.

See you on the other side. I'm going in! :eek:

Thank you for one of the most helpful threads ever especially the diagrams, photos and links to components.

I have a similar problem, but my machine is at my sister's so I want to be fully prepared before going.

Does anybody have photos or more detailed tips or links to spare parts to help with checking the motor brushes or shock absorbers? It would seem to be a good idea whilst dealing with this problem.

My machine has seen 12 years of service for 4 people and I don't want to lose it.

I too had the flashing rinse and three bars in the display.

I changed the brushes and the problem persisted.

i rang the supplier of the brushes (M A Wash Vac Sevices in Edgware http://www.mawashvac.co.uk/services ) looking for suggestions, a repair man that happened to be in the store purchasing stuff suggested that I double check the brushes.

I noticed that the communicator was black so I rubbed it with some webrax and now my w2203 is fine and dandy.

I would like to extend my thanks to the forum members, the store, and the repairman. I shall post a separate thread when I get time with photos/advice.

Cheers

supplier of the brushes (M A Wash Vac Sevices in Edgware http://www.mawashvac.co.uk/services ) ...

I noticed that the communicator was black so I rubbed it with some webrax and now my w2203 is fine and dandy.

I would like to extend my thanks to the forum members, the store, and the repairman. I shall post a separate thread when I get time with photos/advice.

Thank you for posting that supplier. Your photos on locating and fitting would be much appreciated in due course! I am a bit nervous but getting married later this year so really don't want to have to buy a new machine unnecessarily!

supplier of the brushes (M A Wash Vac Sevices in Edgware http://www.mawashvac.co.uk/services ) ...

Thank you for posting that supplier. Your photos on locating and fitting would be much appreciated in due course! I am a bit nervous but getting married later this year so really don't want to have to buy a new machine unnecessarily!

Here is the list of suppliers

http://www.miele.co.uk/customer/updatedDealerDirectory2010.pdf

Not sure if there is a more up to date one

Will try to psot pics tomorrow

I have really gained a lot of valuable information regarding the el 200 circuit board. But Im unable to source the 6k1 relay switch and 6.3 amp fuse. does anyone know where I can find these. Ive tried all the electronic spare parts in my area. It seems they are a specified component.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back