Miners Strike

Alistair................thank you for actually answering my question, jeez he had a a massive long post and not a plumbing question on it!

can't imagine all the interest in a tatoo of a coal mining lift thing.........must be a northern thing

Gant, yes, his advice was good........but there was a degree of banter involved too

Sponsored Links
She was a fine prime minister who stood up to the unions who were wrecking this country, coal mines did close but if any person was to look at who closed the most coal mines then you will see most of them closed under Labour,

all in 12 months ?under a tory goverment ?

don't mind an opinion but for christs sake don't post crap norcon

you know better

so after all that have we discovered the whereabouts of softus yet? :LOL:

Alistair................thank you for actually answering my question, jeez he had a a massive long post and not a plumbing question on it!

can't imagine all the interest in a tatoo of a coal mining lift thing.........must be a northern thing

Gant, yes, his advice was good........but there was a degree of banter involved too

He served his purpose then,bit like the liblabcontrick where old arguments can take their tribal differences, but have been rendered meaningless now the Czech guy has thrown his hand in with the European (Lisbon Treaty/constituation) mapforward.

Sponsored Links
I hate to do this, but I'm gonna stick me toe in the political debate

If you can build a ship by paying a worker 2 grains of rice a day where will the capitalist world go to to buy ships?

Weak british management that didn't involve the workers ideas with ways to improve the product didn't help the car industry and over strong unions with strikes put the boot in further.

But the selling off of nationalised industries/state interests whose profits added to the countries coffers is unforgivable

interesting debate.,
how many persons contributing have been or are paid union up members?

I now find that from the eetpu I am a member of unite, the biggest union in
the world

only been in the union 35 yrs ;)

Me. I don`t need to contribute to the thread , it`s well known what I think of Thatcher and Blair :evil:

When in the eetpu, did you visit their hotel in Sussex ( maybe as a freeby weekender due to that long subscription ;) ) :?:

Softus has probably bought it and running it as a Plumbing University

do yer flaming homework afore posting s hite :idea:

I think it's you that needs to do their homework. When looking at the decline of the railways look for one word - MOTORWAYS. The freight suddenly switched to road and the average man in the street had a car and was no-longer tied to the railways. The trains ran empty.
Change happens in every society. That's just the way it is.

As for coal, the power stations switched to natural gas as it was cleaner and cheaper. The population no-longer used coal fires but switched to central heating (courtesy of gas). Any coal mined would just sit there like a black mountain while Nth Sea oil and gas took its place.

You really don't have a clue do you?

:LOL: :LOL:
kevplumb2.gif

As for coal, the power stations switched to natural gas as it was cleaner and cheaper. The population no-longer used coal fires but switched to central heating (courtesy of gas). Any coal mined would just sit there like a black mountain while Nth Sea oil and gas took its place.

The largest electricity producing power stations in the UK are coal powered. 33% of the electricity in the UK comes from coal, 40% from gas, not a big difference. We now have to import 70% of the coal we use from abroad, about 40 million tonnes of the stuff!

it is possible to reopen deep flooded mines, it's just not easy read cheap. Yes I agree the unions needed to be reigned in in the 70's / early 80's, but what a way to do it. I wouldn't give thatcher the steam of my p***. Scargill was an complete twonk as well.

we import most of our coal from Poland, despite sitting on huge albeit dirty (and salty), coal reserves, you couldn't make it up.

Sponsored Links
Back