Minimum clearance in front of Combi boiler for Safety Cert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. First visit here so hope I'm not asking something that's been answered a bunch if times already, but I've had a look around and can't find it...

I'm a landlord in the process of getting a gas safety Cert done and have been told I MUST have at least 400mm clearance at the front of the boiler. Can anybody tell me if this is just a 'servicing' requirement (which I would expect), or a specific safety requirement to allow the boiler to pass it's safety Cert?

The boiler's fitted to the end wall facing the kitchen cabinets fitted along the inner wall. It's been in the same spot for 5yrs (it was actually completely encased in a corner cabinet of it's own until now) and this is the first time I'm being told it's an issue and that I need to remove the main kitchen cabinet in front of it (which will ruin the kitchen) or have a new boiler fitted alongside the wall cabinets on the inner wall....

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Make and model of boiler :?:

Sorry, don't have it with me. I'll swing by the property tomorrow and note & post it.

It's probably 8yrs or so old and not failed a safety Cert or had any issues in the 5yrs I've owned the property and it's been in a very small kitchen cabinet the whole time

It is more than likely a service requirement and not a safety issue
.Anyways it would only be not to current standards if not( NCS ) which would then be listed on the cert there is no reason a cert should never be issued its only there to tell you what they have found and wether it is safe to use or not.

But its amazing how many seemingly qualified people do not know how to fill one in or what there purpose is.

Or do they and use them to frighten people into unnecessary expense

Sponsored Links
A boiler doesn't pass or fail a cert, you just get a piece of paper with comments.

Hmmm. Thanks guys. Looks like he's trying to scare me into unnecessary cost... I'll tell him to pull his head in or take a hike. :)

Thanks for your help!

It's only for servicing, if the cupboard lifted off for example it would be fine.

yea service and maintainance only i have a WB combi i service every year and i have to take the cupboard down to get the casing off

A top customer would have removed any cupboard before the engineer arrives.......not many do though!!! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back