Minimum kitchen requirements for a studio flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Does anyone know where i can get a list of the minimum kitchen requirement for a studio flat that i let out. I have had the council make some recommendations on certain things and one sticking point, basically down to the room in the kitchen is they insist on a 4 ring cooker as opposed to the 2 ring i have installed that come with the mini kitchen appliance. Has anyone any ideas

Sponsored Links
AFAIK there is no national standard that needs to be achieved, local authority's have their own guidelines (usually these can be found online, do a google for something like 'Plymouth HMO guildelines' or whoever your LA is) that need to be adhered to although generally I didn't think they specify how many rings a hob must have although I do recall one local authority that did so (4 rings). I think its generally a given though that a 4 ring hob would be provided it seems a bit tight to only have 2 rings. You need to ask under what guidelines they are insisting, is this the HMO inspector or BC inspector? If they relent I guess if the rent reflects the crappy kitchen then it'll rent OK.

Rented accommodation funded through the affordable homes programme (which is more or less all local authority and housing association accommodation) is controlled by design standards known as the Housing Quality Indicator. (HQI) you should be able to find a copy of the standard online somewhere. In my neck of the woods this standard is also universally used by LA environment departments. These standards don't apply to private rented but I'll bet this is what they are going by.

OP

Why is the council involved at all ? As a studio. it is obviously not a HMO and I'm not aware of any other reason. My interest is as a landlord.

Sponsored Links
Why should there be an obligation to provide any hob at all, or indeed a kitchen? More and more people only eat microwaved complete meals.

Is this a flat you are hoping to rent out to, or via, the council?

In which case they will have their own quality standards, which are not the same as legal requirements for a homeowner, who can have any cooker he likes for his own use (or none at all)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back