Minimum landing size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new stair case fitted. It is a straight flight. At the top of the stairs will be a door to the left.

The question is what is the minimum size allowable between the top of the stair and the door?

I did find an article that said 400mm if the door opened onto the landing , but mine will open into the room.

Sponsored Links
Might be an idea to give BCO who can tell you over the phone because it can be confusing as they will need to know the floor area of the room as well !

Don't know where 400mm comes from but for a single room loft conversion the landing needs to be the width of the stairs square ie 700mm wide staircase landing 700x700 although if space is tight and you speak nicely to BCO he may let you get away with width of stair x 600 as this is usually the narrowest practical stair for a loft.
As Masona says probably best to speak to BCO as I'm not sure if the same applies for multiple rooms opening onto a landing.
Sorry just read your post again is this door at the top of the stairs on the same wall as the stairs are running up ? If so and the door is opening inwards then no minimum at all.
Just fitted one where the string of the stairs butts right against the architrave of the door.

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
Don't know where 400mm comes from

Building Regs Part K1

chappers said:
Sorry just read your post again is this door at the top of the stairs on the same wall as the stairs are running up ? If so and the door is opening inwards then no minimum at all.
Just fitted one where the string of the stairs butts right against the architrave of the door.

Yep - this is exactly how mine is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back