Minimum standards?

The electrical aspects of the installation would need to be done by a "Part P" quallified installer and also "notified". Ask on the electrics UK forum for chapter and verse on that.

As the boiler isn't a new installation, it could be argued that there was no need to add thermostatic rad valves under Part L.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
there are those that do
there are those that know
and finally there are those that teach because they are useless on the tools :rolleyes:

i thought the old adage was:
if you can, you do
if you can't, you teach.

Just realised I am doing some injustice here.
I have had various private teachers/trainers/instructors that did an outstanding job.
I have found the above almost invariably true for those teaching in government jobs

I was teaching ccn1 "refresher" today.
I asked "If you have 21 mbar working pressure at the meter, what are you looking for at the appliance"?
7 out of the 9 people got it wrong... :eek:

I was teaching ccn1 "refresher" today.
I asked "If you have 21 mbar working pressure at the meter, what are you looking for at the appliance"?
7 out of the 9 people got it wrong... :eek:

yes chrisr i know shocking really the amount of people who cannot soundness :rolleyes: sorry tightness test correctly,as far as gas training is concerned you are having a giraffe.turn up tick box do a few basic tests now you are competent :rolleyes: i think not :evil:

...7 out of the 9 people got it wrong... :eek:
It would be interesting to know what they thought (if at all) the answer should be. We've had ACS for around 10 years now, yet three quarters of gas fitters appear to be incompetent. Something not quite working?

Have done acs in house with BG when it was a proper 5 day exam 1000 questions and proper practical exam ,talk about strict and hard.. Then done it out in the so called real world ,what a F ing joke took in all about a day no pressure an absolute basic stuff..In reality quite frightening how easy it is to pass with no knowledge.
One guy on it took 6 hours to do a paper with 30 questions on it that took us 40 mins.Don`t know what the answer is but i think ACSis not strict enough

Acs is a politically correct instrument that is easy to police so if anything happens, the government dimwits that are involved can express their sympathies to the family and pledge to undertake a study how to make things EVEN safer. As we all know, in reality it is a paper exercise about as accurate as the weather forecast.
30% of the book is about theoratical and obsolete subjects.
How many pages on open flue? What a waste of time. Very similar to driving test, once you have passed, 90% or the rules are just ignored

Whilst there are a certain number of answers that must be known, I think that part of the problem is that they have got into the situation that they demand a 100% right answers.

The effect of that is to reduce the level of knowledge tested to enable most nupties to pass easily.

Harder questions with a say 70% or 80% pass mark would test wider knowledge better. Most other professions like doctors, solicitors or accountants have a percentage to pass.

Having said that, the questions are already pretty simple for anyone who either has the knowledge or like one of my trainees has a very good short term memory.

Tony

Disagree regards open flue .. Yes not fitted anymore but millions out there and new people have not got a clue what is right and what isn`t hence people scared to work on back boilers etc

Yes, there are millions still out there that need checking, and they NEED it.
That still does not mean you should still spend a third of the total time on how to install and design the buggerrs.
As far as I know, if an existing open flue pulls properly, does not spill or leak, you can leave it as it is, regardless of whether it is designed correctly or not.
The real problem with open flues is that most old installations are owned by people who do not like spending money, resulting in poor maintenance, no chimney cleaning and blocked airvents because they are so draughty in winter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back