Minimum standards?

acs is a joke in its present format as is the instruction,not only does it need streamling it needs bringing up to date with current practices

agile wrote

The effect of that is to reduce the level of knowledge tested to enable most nupties to pass easily.

if you want to have a pop agile have the decency to be upfront not sneaky or underhand :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Bengas ,bit of a sweeping statement that people who have an open flue are tight... Not everyone has 2 grand upwards to change a perfectly working boiler that has years of life in it still that was also more expensive to put in originally than a balanced flue, some houses didn`t have any other option..
If the skill level is not out there to deal with open flued appliances this is not a customer fault but an industry wide fault.. And if you don`t know how to design and install open flue how do you know what to look for if it`s wrong. I have seen many open flued that pass all the tests but are illegal and should be cut off

The real problem with open flues is that most old installations are owned by people who do not like spending money, resulting in poor maintenance, no chimney cleaning and blocked airvents because they are so draughty in winter

It's not quite that simple, true people do all the above, but generally thats down to a lack of education and ignorance.

Tell people the truth about new well designed down firing premix burners, and the efficiency figures these marvels can produce they would realise the prudence of upgrading their systems.

However it can be a case of the cobblers children, even i was guilty of having a 30yr old boiler :oops: and thinking I could always breath life back into it, till one day I arrived home to be greeted with a wet floor and burst heat exchanger :evil: , when i fitted a "greenstar HE"
then i got the message and pleasing gas bills savings paid for the boiler in 18 months ;)

generally the industry is not good about communicating with the public, being seen as secretive wanton scare mongers.
its time to engage the public and educate them

Sponsored Links
Tell people the truth about new well designed down firing premix burners, and the efficiency figures these marvels can produce they would realise the prudence of upgrading their systems.
The truth? And what do you think that is? Anyone publicising figures for the alleged energy savings will have a vested interest in exaggerating these. And what about the much higher maintenance costs and shorter working life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back