Minor works question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had a large 1st floor bedroom split into two bedrooms back in December and electrician had mentioned he would need to come back to test and sign off.

All good.

Except when he came back he mentioned that I need 2x RCD to be installed; one for the lighting and one for the sockets. The circuits are existing except for adding one new socket to the existing ring main , and, putting an extra light switch in so the existing 2x light pendants which are now in separate rooms can be independently controlled.

Bit surprised he didn't mention the RCD's to me when I'd spoken to him numerous times and will ask him why.

But also wanted to check that this is expected for what is essentially minor work's, ie bringing that circuit up to current regs?

Thanks
Mike

Ps eagle eyed readers might spot that I had the precise opposite problem in a bathroom recently, the installer didn't put an RCD in.

Sponsored Links
New sockets and new unprotected cables should be protected by RCDs.

May not make much sense in a bedroom but that's what the rules state.

Ps eagle eyed readers might spot that I had the precise opposite problem in a bathroom recently, the installer didn't put an RCD in.
Neither did this one. :)

New sockets and new unprotected cables should be protected by RCDs.

May not make much sense in a bedroom but that's what the rules state.

Neither did this one. :)

OK cool if that's the rules.

Even the lighting circuit, because it was changed, presumably?

After the last experience with the NICEIC spark leaving the job in a dangerous state I am in once bitten twice shy mode. This new chap looks to be fitting 3 RCD's for me. Didn't realise RCD's are like buses haha.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sorry for confusion.. it's an old consumer unit. A crab tree starbreaker. if spark can't get RCBO for it they are going to fit a separate mini CU. I just meant 3 total RCD. If that makes sense.

Depends what's available as it's an old CU.

As the electrician is NICEIC I'll let him decide the detail of the actual solution. Although ive come to realise that label is not really much assurance that the job will be done correctly hence posting here for a objective view. All I want is the circuit to meet whatever regs it must meet *and* be safe (these two requirements are not necessarily the same thing).

Bedrooms I'm not so concerned about. On the other hand a 240v light 10 inches above my head inside the shower cubicle is quite a different matter (even if installed by a pro)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back